Track & Structures
North White Plains
$70,035.00 - 91,920.68
September 29th, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position will be responsible for overseeing the measuring, mapping, and documenting land, air space, and boundaries of Metro-North Railroad’s territories in order to confirm or establish Metro-North’s property lines. The position will work within surveying party to set control points and ensure proper recording of survey results for Metro-North’s usage.
- Preparation of boundary and right-of-way surveys for site planning and engineering projects.
- Measure construction sites and provide relevant data regarding location, elevation, and dimension of land features.
- Establishing official boundaries and writing descriptions of land for deeds, and other legal
- documents, as needed by Metro-North.
- Inspect railroad maintenance and rehabilitation work to ensure conformance with plans and Metro-
- North’s standards.
- Plan, install and maintain a network wide database of control points for future work and reference.
- Maintenance and calibration of all survey equipment
- Collection of data for all major incidences and derailments, making sure that investigations are done to FRA and NATSB standards.
- Survey row boundaries to establish responsibilities for structures, danger trees, fencing; clean up, culverts, drainage, and retaining walls.
- Leads the day-to-day work activities of the surveyor(s)
- Provide guidance and direction to staff ensuring compliance with PPE, proper procedures, etc.
- Performs cross audit function and procedure checklists.
- Monitors condition/maintenance of company owned assets.
- Ensure training of surveyors in the day-to-day operations, techniques and hazards associated with the field operations surveys.
- Strong knowledge of professional surveying principles, techniques and procedures
- Strong knowledge in the use of surveying instruments, drafting tools and equipment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of CADD/AUTOCAD
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and/or comparable applications
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and capable of working independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to interact with all levels of management within Metro-North as well as local government and
- community representatives.
- Knowledge of standard safety policies and procedures
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- The following is/are preferred:
- Familiarity with right-of-way and railroad standards ·
- Land Surveyor license in CT and/or NY.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Surveying, or related field. Demonstrated equivalent experience, education and/or technical credentials may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in surveying or related field.
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.