Assistant Director- Networks Security
M of W- C&S/PTC
$89,892.00 - $117,983.25
September 27th, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This Position provides oversight and management of the Signal, Power, and PTC Control Systems office to field traffic, as well as the communications at the Primary Control Center and Backup Operations Center. Develop and maintain necessary security models, architecture, and technical standards to adequately protect all of Metro-North Railroad’s mission-critical and safety-critical control systems which are used to operate, control, and support all Railroad Operations.
- Design, develop, test, implement, and document computer system security policies, security models, computer system security architecture and technical standards, administrative, end-user guidelines and procedures for all mission-critical systems:
- The Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) systems for the Operations Control Center (OCC), Emergency Control Center (ECC), and the entire mainline.
- The Traction Power Control (SCADA) for the GCT-Power Control, the Emergency Control Center (ECC), and the entire mainline.
- The Fiber-Optics Communications Interface Systems, copper to ethernet migration, configure and test field switches and firewalls, the Operations Remote View Workstation Network at the New York Operations Control Center and Emergency Control Center.
- Provide necessary enforcement, monitoring, maintenance, and recovery of security processes.
- Provide necessary training to technical support group personnel on security process.
- Knowledge of 49 CFR Part 236 requirements. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong configuration knowledge of Firewalls, Switches, and Routers
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Visio or AutoCAD
- Ability to work in a high-profile/high-pressure environment.
- Ability to interact with all levels and departments.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Position requires 24-hour, 7 days week availability.
- Knowledge of real-time control and operations systems
- Knowledge of computer virtual system management
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Network Security, or related field. Demonstrated equivalent experience, education, and/or technical credentials to include four (4) additional years of related experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience with security models, architecture, and LAN/WAN hardware & software systems in a Windows Server and Windows operating systems environment, to include experience performing all the following:
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with firewall configuration and maintenance.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with LAN/WAN network, router and switch configuration and maintenance, to include TCP/IP, SNMP, RIP2, OSPF Protocols.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience with data communication including VPNs.
The following is/are preferred:
CCNA, CISSP, CompTIA Network or equivalent
- Technical certification in Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or equivalent.
- Technical certification in Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) or equivalent.
- Experience with Unix, Linux and Virtual Machine (VM) operating systems.
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.