JOB TITLE: Cabinet Maker
DEPT/DIV: M of W
Full/Part Time: Full
Application Deadline: Until Filled
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Cabinet Makers perform high quality finished work in the construction, repair, assembly and installation of cabinets, custom shelving, furniture, doors, crown molding and other wooden structures using woodworking machines and hand tools.
The primary functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Fabricates, lays-out, frames and installs metal and wood stud walls, doors, door bucks and window frames
- Lays-out and installs vinyl, carpet and tile floors
- Installs pre-fabricated office work stations
- Constructs forms for concrete installation
- Ability to read and understand blueprints
- Installs Formica and drop ceilings
- Minimum of a High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC).
- Vocational or apprentice training in carpentry, or a minimum of three (3) years carpentry experience.
- Must maintain a personal tool box with the minimum following tools: framing square, handsaws, claw hammer, ruler, level, and chisels.
- Experience using lathe, drill press and planer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience using table saw, jointer, power saw and screw gun.
- Must complete Metro-North respirator training and certification within 30 days of job award; must provide hand tools appropriate for job.
Rate of Pay
The starting rate for this position is $26.11 per hour (65% of the full rate). The annual wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=65% > Year 2=70% > Year 3=75% > Year 4=80% > Year 5=92% > Year 6=100%. The 100% full rate of pay is $37.30/hourly.
This rate has been established by the collective bargaining unit and is non-negotiable.
New Hire candidates who meet one (1) or more of the criterion as enumerated below will qualify for the expedited wage progression for Journeymen:
- Four (4) years of full time experience as a Cabinet Maker or finished Carpenter, with experience performing work including but not limited to building cabinets, fabricating and installing crown moldings, wainscoting, custom shelving and finished furniture.
- Completion of a four (4) year accredited apprenticeship program as a Cabinet Maker or finished Carpenter.
- An accredited Trade or Vocational School Certificate in Cabinetmaking or finished Carpentry, of which completions requires at least one (1) year of classroom training, plus three (3) years of full time experience performing finished carpentry. If additional time is spent in formal training within the accredited Vocational School curriculum, then the combination of classroom and full-time experience as a Cabinetmaker or finished Carpenter must equal at least four (4) years in total.
A new hire candidate must submit to Metro North documented proof of their qualifications (i.e. certificate, diploma, certification card or employment verification letter) in order to satisfy the above referenced criteria. If the eligibility criteria is met with satisfaction, a new hire candidate will be entered into the wage progression set forth below”
For those approved for a journeyman rate, the wage progression scale is as follows: 80%>85%>100% of the full rate of pay.
Applicants will establish seniority in the Transport Workers Union (TWU), the union representing Cabinet Makers, in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of TWU are subject to an initiation fee and monthly membership dues.
Ability to work various hours, days and shifts in Grand Central Terminal (GCT) is required.
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $108,638.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Details of physical activities include, but are not limited to:
- Must be able to lift and carry tools and material weighing up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis and occasionally up to 75 lbs.
Details of working conditions include, but are not limited to:
- Works at heights up to 100 ft. on scaffolds, ladders, and lifts.
- Works within limits of Grand Central Terminal.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
HOW TO APPLY:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ON LINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.