Job ID: 3627
Business Unit: New York City Transit
Location: Bronx, NY, United States
Department: Regional Bus Company
Date Posted: Sep 12, 2023
Director Transportation Training (Buses)
First date of posting: 9/12/2023
Last date of posting: 10/3/2023
Authority: TA/OA/MTA Bus
Division/Unit: Safety & Training
Reports To: Assistant Chief Officer, Safety & Training
Hours of Work: As Required
Salary Range: $88,539 - $131,381 (Grade D - 611 hay points)
Direct employees and activities in the Transportation/Safety Training Units. These duties include directing and evaluating the performance of Transportation Instructors/Division Safety Superintendents; curriculum development; evaluation of probationary employees; development of new training initiatives; and provide training and direction to the Division Training Supervisors. Plan, develop, implement and manage all Buses regulations mandated under NYS Motor Vehicle and Traffic Law, Section 19-A and the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act (CDL). Develop the policies/procedures necessary for ensuring NYCT’s compliance with these regulations. Develop and manage the Performance Evaluation Program to evaluate and improve the safety of all B/O’s. Develop and implement probationary review programs.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Directly supervise and manage the activities of Superintendents of Transportation who are responsible for training Bus Operators and Dispatchers. Evaluate Instructor performance and provide training and/or coaching where performance needs improvement.
- Perform curriculum development functions including training needs analysis, program design, and program review and modification. Ensure that training courses and instructors meet job requirements and operational objectives.
- Manage the Performance Monitoring Program to evaluate and improve the service reliability of individual Bus Operators within Buses. Coordinate the delivery of undercover check rides, random observations, standardized evaluations, and appropriate record retention. Ensure that the follow-up actions taken are appropriate to facilitate individual performance improvement.
- Direct the evaluation of probationary transportation employees. Make recommendations on whether probationary employees should pass or fail their probationary period. Ensure that the follow-up actions taken are appropriate to facilitate individual performance improvement.
- Plan, develop, implement, and manage all Buses regulations mandated under NYS Motor Vehicle and Traffic Law, Section 19-A and the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act (CDL).
Education and Experience
- A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in Transportation Management, Engineering, Training, or a related field and seven (7) years of full-time related experience, at least three (3) years of which must have been in a managerial/supervisory/administrative capacity.
- A satisfactory equivalent of combined education and experience requirements.
- In depth knowledge of NYCT transportation procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of training techniques and curriculum development.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and analytical skills.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including
with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities. The MTA encourages qualified
applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service
members, to apply.