Assistant Chief Power-Operations
M of W Power
Grand Central Terminal
$105,501.00 - $138,470.33
September 25, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Responsible for directing and controlling the Operation & Maintenance of Railroad’s Traction Power and Electrical Systems , including Third Rail, Catenary, Transmission , Power Distribution systems, Yard & Terminal Standby Systems, Movable Bridge electrical & control systems, DC Bug & Stinger systems, over 120 AC & DC Substation & switching stations and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Systems. These are all mission critical systems essential to the delivery of both electric & diesel train service throughout the company.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Operations & Maintenance workgroups within the Power Dept, responsible for the inspection, testing, maintenance, repair, and replacement of all wayside electrical systems necessary for MNR’s operational & corporate functions. Ensure 24/7 operational response to Traction Power System issues guarantee consistent service to our customers.
- Provide leadership & direction to the daily operations of the Power systems to ensure the over 300 employees are trained, understand and follow safe practices, using the appropriate tools and equipment to ensure safety and prevent injuries.
- Take a lead role in improving the record keeping and scheduling of cyclical and periodic activities necessary to support the mission critical functions. Explore the integration of an electronic / data driven approach to increase efficiency and reduce downtime due to unscheduled events.
- Responsible to manage, plan and recommend new methods and equipment to improve system reliability and efficiency while reducing costs and utilizing existing labor force.
- Provide leadership & direction to Assistant Deputy Directors in charge of the 24/7 work groups in all areas of scheduling, rule compliance, attendance, discipline, overtime control, safety, training, qualification, and accountability of the public trust.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electric traction and electrical systems & components
- Demonstrated ability to manage manpower and material budget within budgetary constraints
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong administrative, problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to adapt to change
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and/or comparable applications
- Working knowledge of Primervia, Microsoft Project and/or comparable application
- Working knowledge of OSHA statutes pertaining to Electric Transmission & Distribution
- Strong analytical skills to be able to evaluate new and existing products, equipment & procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable material standards and quality control
- Knowledge of safe work practices as they relate to a railroad or Utility environment
- Strong leadership skills to foster teamwork
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with internal departments and external agencies
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to implement and participate in Metro North’s Priority One Safety program.
- Ability to be on call 24 hours, 7 days per week, as required
- Valid Drivers license
The following is/are preferred:
- Knowledge of Metro North Policies and procedures, accounting and payroll processes
- PE License
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an Electrical Engineering or related field. Demonstrated equivalent experience, education and or technical credentials to include four (4) years of related experience to be considered in lieu of degree.
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in management of a large unionized workforce and/ or complex electrical systems
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in Railroad Electric Traction
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience managing a diverse workforce and/or projects.
This is a Federally Regulated position and subject to toxicology testing. Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.