Senior Engineer Signals
MofW Communications & Signal
420 Lexington Avenue
$89.892.00 - $117,983.25
September 22nd, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position is responsible to manage all aspects of Metro North’s Communications and Signal Capital programs. In addition, provide engineering, design and project management for Communications and Signal projects.
- Manage all aspects of the Capital projects assignments. Including the development of all required plans, specifications and Quality Assurance Compliance programs.
- Provide engineering, design and manage the engineering and design between the capital projects and operational departments.
- Manage the budgets and schedules for capital communication projects.
- Research, Develop and institute new technologies to assist Metro North to obtain corporate goals.
- Review and approve documentation including schedules, design documents and submittals prepared by consultants or vendors relative to communication projects.
- Assist in establishing standards for the Communication and Signal Department and participate in Metro-North Railroad safety programs.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, and Microsoft Project or Primavera.
- Excellent written and verbal Communication Skills.
- Knowledge of project management skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills with all organizational levels.
- Broad background in technology used in communication systems.
- Knowledge of Federal Communication Commission requirements.
- Knowledge of accounting, budget and payroll processes.
- Strong knowledge of safety policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance and Quality Control programs.
- Must be available 24 hours/7 days a week as required.
The following is/are preferred:
- Familiarity with Metro North operations, policies and procedures
- Familiarity with basic understanding of railway signal systems
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical field.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in a transportation related industry with a combination of communication systems, signal systems and related technologies and equipment.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing Engineering, Capital Programs, Labor Management, Budget processes and/or Manpower control
This is a federally regulated position, and is subject to toxilogical testing.Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.