Sr. Engineer Signal Design
Communications & Signal (C&S
420 Lexington Avenue
$89.892.00 - $117,983.25
September 21st, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
The purpose of this position is to provide direction and leadership in the day-to-day operation of the members of the Signal Design Workgroup working on capital project design. Directly lead signal design Circuit Engineers in the development of safety critical designs, interfaces, plans, and layouts for Metro-North’s capital improvements to wayside signal system. Ensure adherence to all Metro-North, Federal and State requirements and regulations relating to railroad signal system. Design and engineer Vital and Non-vital signal circuits and software. Design modifications to the various signal systems of Metro-North, ensuring the safety of the signal system.
- Provide design and engineering as well as lead other signal design personnel in the modification, additions, and interfaces for new and existing signal systems, maintain integrity and assure safety of the signal systems.
- Provide design and checking of vital hardware and software interfaces for capital project upgrades and renewal of wayside signal system.
- Check and review other design projects and As-In-Service plans executed by other Circuit Engineers and Assistant Circuit Engineers.
- Ensure compliance with Federal Railway Administration (FRA) regulations for wayside signal system and grade crossings.
- Manage and provide technical assistance and information to Signal Department personnel, Field Construction, vendors and Maintenance forces. Support implementation of systems with field construction.
- Provide a lead in supporting Metro-North Safety Program through the execution of required activities and policies associated with personnel working along or on the railroad right-of-way and other locations.
- Strong knowledge of Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 233, 234, 235, and 236 requirements and State Regulations concerning Signal Systems.
- Strong knowledge of AREMA Guidelines and practices.
- Strong knowledge of wayside construction techniques and practices for cable and systems.
- Strong knowledge of signal system design standards and practices.
- Strong knowledge of communications design standards and practices.
- Strong knowledge and experience in the integration of digital networks including serial device servers.
- Strong knowledge and experience in Microlok, Microtrak, VPI, Genrakode, hardware and software platforms.
- Strong analytical skills in order to analyze new and existing products, equipment and/or procedures.
- Strong knowledge of vital and non-vital wayside signal system hardware and software.
- Must be able to work in a high-profile/high-pressure environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or comparable applications.
- Must be able to manage complex multi-discipline projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Auto CAD, Microsoft Project or Primavera or comparable programs
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with internal departments and outside agencies.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of standard safety rules and procedures as they apply to signal systems.
- Must be able to implement and participate in Metro-North Railroad’s Priority One Safety Program
- 24-hours 7 days availability required.
- Valid Driver’s License.
The following is/are preferred:
- Familiarity with Metro-North Policies and Procedures.
- Familiarity with Metro-North collective bargaining agreements.
- PE License
This is a federally regulated position, and is subject to toxicology test.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.