Assistant Deputy Director- Configuration Mgmt
MofW – C&S
Grand Central Terminal.
$98,205.00 - $128,893.80
September 21st, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position supports the Deputy Director Signal Control Systems in all aspects of technical documentation, development, design tracking, technical specification, and systems testing. The Office control systems and subsystems include the Primary Control Center (PCC), Backup Control Center (BCC), and Remote Office locations. Operational Technology is a critical component of the system designed to ensure compliance with the FRA. This position manages the 24/7 maintenance for Metro-North Railroad’s mission-critical and safety-critical control systems which are used to operate, control, and support all railroad Operations. This position will provide the interface between the System Integrator (SI) and Metro North during system development. This position will be responsible for the operation, configuration, quality control, and continued engineering development as well as support and liaison with the MTA-IT regarding Cybersecurity initiatives. Support Metro-North Safety Program through the execution of required activities and policies associated with personnel working along or on the railroad right-of-way and other locations.
- Plan, organize and direct the technical teams to ensure the stable and secure operation of the Operations Control Center, Power Control Center and the Positive Train Control System with the Field Signals, Power Substations and Wayside systems. Ensure 24/7 engineering and maintenance support and oversight for daily software systems maintenance and management for all Metro- North’s mission-critical and safety-critical real-time operations control systems.
- Build effective working relationships with various stakeholders (MNR operating dept leadership-Transportation, Power, Communications, MTA IT, vendors, etc.) and ensure effective communication to accomplish department objectives to support safety, rail operations, MNR business plan and the development of MNR intelligent transportation systems projects. Effectively present departmental changes to internal and external (cyber-security group, FRA, etc.) parties.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing key functional areas such as the infrastructure that interfaces the Signal, Power, and PTC Control Systems infrastructures.
- Develop Incident Response Plans and Disaster Recovery Plans for Signal, Power, PTC Control Systems and maintain continuity for Emergency Control Centers. Take a lead role in TSA-Cyber Security initiatives on behalf of Metro-North to satisfy Department of Homeland Security requirements to make sure the system is secure and minimize vulnerability. Make sure servers and hosts are patched and upgraded timely. Support and liaison with the MTA-IT regarding cybersecurity Initiatives.
- Work with the System Administrator and the CTC Office Team to review and document all development of the Office components, ensuring that requirements are met. Provide leadership by mentoring and training the team members. Establish and reinforce a professional and productive working environment to facilitate team engagement.
- Gain a full understanding of the functions of the Operational Technology, its network and the Software and Data Maintenance Facility (SDMF) used to develop, test, document, configure, maintain, and modify the system.
- Knowledge of 49 CFR Part 236 requirements
- Knowledge of AREMA Guidelines and practices
- Knowledge of Cybersecurity and IRPs
- Good written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Ability to multi-task and handle multi-projects simultaneously
- Planning skills, project management skills, troubleshooting skills, organizational skills
- Strong knowledge of Power Control and Signal Control Systems
- Strong knowledge of Operating Systems
- Strong knowledge of the configuration management hardware and software development and lifecycle process
- Strong analytical skills to analyze new and existing products, equipment and/or procedures.
- Ability to work in a high-profile/high-pressure environment.
- Ability to interact with all levels and departments.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Position requires 24-hour, 7days week availability.
- Experience working with real-time mission-critical operations control systems.
- Project management skills with strict adherence to budget and deadlines
- Valid driver's license
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other technical degrees. Demonstrated equivalent education, experience and/or technical credentials to include four (4) additional years of related experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Minimum seven (7) years of blended experience with Signal and Power control systems, field CIL/Substations communications, testing, and hardware & Operating Systems
- Minimum three (3) years of progressively responsible experience reviewing technical and material specifications and analytical skills to analyze new and existing products, equipment and/or procedures
- Minimum three (3) years of experience with Operations Technology Industrial Control Systems including one (1) year of experience in management and maintenance of computer systems
- Minimum five (5) years of Project management skills with strict adherence to budget and deadlines
Preferred, but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials may be considered:
- Knowledge of Rail Infrastructure/Railroad Operations
- Knowledge of Signals and Power systems logic and operation and applications
- Knowledge of communication systems and application
- Familiarity with TSA mandated Cybersecurity initiatives
- Familiarity with Metro-North Policies and Procedures
- Familiarity with Metro-North collective bargaining agreements
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Transportation related field
This is a federally regulated position, and is subject to toxilogical testing.Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.