POSTING NO: 3513
JOB TITLE: Senior Manager -Train Scheduling
DEPT/DIV: Operations Planning & Analysis
WORK LOCATION: 420 Lexington Avenue
FULL/PART TIME: Full
SALARY RANGE: $89,892.00 - $117,983.25
DEADLINE: Open until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
The purpose of this position is to develop, using input from rail simulations, customer impact evaluations, and operations assessments MNR train schedules reflecting optimal crew and equipment assignments, effective coordination with cyclical schedule changes, and responding to ad hoc changes.
- Develop optimal Train Schedules by line segment to support MNR schedules, both planned and ad hoc schedule changes, holiday schedules, special events, and service disruptions.
- Develop and modify/propose service plans to meet changing customer travel demands while adhering to service standards.
- Ensure quality control of train schedules meet prescribed service standards adherence.
- Evaluate service change proposals for customer travel/journey time and operating impacts (including costs).
- Evaluate train schedules performance and analyze point-to-point times, adjusting train schedules for optimum performance by manipulating slots, point-to-point, dwell, and many other factors. Perform evaluations of schedule criteria and equipment standards to recommend improved criteria and/or assignments.
- Develop and analyze service scenarios in support of short-term service planning efforts (i.e. operational analysis of proposed schedule changes, and future service plans).
- Employee Operating schedule and Public Service development for base schedule and ad-hoc schedules as needed.
- Ensure proper communication of schedule information to internal and external customers.
- Ensure schedule accuracy for all downstream systems.
- Perform periodic evaluation of schedule criteria and equipment standards to recommend improved criteria and/or assignments.
- Prepare a schedule and financial analyses in support of the service initiatives and the service agreements between Metro-North and Connecticut DOT for New Haven Line services and between Metro-North and NJ Transit for West of Hudson services.
- Ensure all schedules promote the safety and efficiency of operations.
- Working knowledge of a crew scheduling systems, preferably TrainPlan.
- Working knowledge of MNR equipment scheduling system TrainPlan.
- Knowledge of ridership demand analysis and service planning.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including presentation skills.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills needed to manage complex databases.
- Strong ability to exercise a level of independent judgment and decision making.
- Ability to work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize workload while adhering to deadlines.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels of management and external contacts.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and/or comparable system applications.
- Knowledge of manpower planning, payroll, statistical and budgetary constraints
- Familiarity with transportation operations.
- Familiarity with ACRE Labor Contractual agreement.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation Planning, Business or related field. Demonstrated equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered to include an additional four (4) years’ experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in planning, operations, customer service, mechanical, service planning and/or crew scheduling, preferably in a transportation environment
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience supervising a workforce or projects
Master’s Degree in Planning, Transportation Planning, Business and or related field
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.