Senior Engineer – GCT Mechanical
M of W GCT
Grand Central Terminal
$89,892.00 - $117,983.25
August 28th, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position is responsible for managing and maintaining the Grand Central Terminal infrastructure in a state of good repair. This position is responsible for the mechanical systems (pumps, chillers, steam PRV’s, etc.) and mechanical maintenance activities performed by Grand Central Terminal (GCT) work force. Position requires particular emphasis on the planning and implementation of long-range maintenance programs to effect improved customer experience, a safer working and operating environment, and more efficient use of Grand Central Terminal’s resources.
- Directly manages the resources (labor, material and equipment) in association with the building mechanical design, inspection and mechanical maintenance of Grand Central Terminal infrastructure. Sets performance goals and develops operating procedures for building automation and mechanical maintenance and construction within GCT.
- Provide day-to-day management of the inspection and maintenance, and repair work in the Terminal involving plumbers, machinists, and sheet metal workers.
- Evaluate various mechanical equipment functions and capabilities for performance and identify any opportunities that enhance system operability. The successful individual will identify vulnerabilities in various mechanical systems and analyze potential solutions using an engineering mindset. The candidate must demonstrate a track record of proficiency with mechanical design and ability to identify issues in a time efficient manner as to reduce downtime of equipment and prevent any catastrophic failure. and a proven ability to troubleshoot and work closely with the Capital, Long Range Planning and Financial Departments in the development of the Metro-North 20 Year Needs Assessment and future Capital Programs.
- Coordinate, manage and execute upgrades and repairs plans, schedule and prepare estimates of in-house construction activity. Coordinate with internal departments and external contractors or consultants. Determined defined work scopes to meet field conditions, organize and mobilize craft forces to work on all construction projects by establishing priorities, scheduling, and adjusting staff to meet same.
- Provide direction in supporting Metro-North’s safety program through the execution of required activities and policies associated with personnel working in Grand Central Terminal and the trainshed. Review various documents such as operations logs, budget reports, production reports, payroll reports, etc. and update the Deputy Director on the status.
- Assist the Superintendent – GCT Maintenance in the preparation of the department’s annual budget and equipment Develop staff and support of work group in expanding system knowledge, reducing operational costs and supporting new requirements for improvements within Grand Central Terminal
- Demonstrated knowledge of electrical and mechanical diagrams, schematics, and HVAC layouts
- Knowledge of Grand Central Terminal mechanical systems, mechanical infrastructure, including repair, rehabilitation and construction and the material and equipment associated with this work.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical systems (pumps, chillers, steam systems, heat exchangers, etc.) used to provide vital utilities to both internal and external customers.
- Ability to analyze complex situations and make quick and effective decisions based on that analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and write specifications for material requirements, services, and supplies.
- Demonstrated ability to read blueprints and schematics and to prepare material take-offs, as well as perform field design work when required.
- Strong project management, forecasting and coordination skills which includes quality control and quality assurance measures within adherence to deadlines.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to foster teamwork and direct interaction of work force.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact with internal departments, city, state, and federal agencies.
- Ability to stay current on track and right-of-way issues as related to transportation and/or railroad activities.
- Strong knowledge of safety rules and regulations to promote a safe work environment.
- Knowledge of Chillers, Pumps, Heat Exchangers, ejector pumps.
- Strong knowledge with mechanical design.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, and/or Access, or comparable applications as well as familiarity with preventive maintenance software programs.
- Must have a valid driver license.
- Must be available to be on call 24/7 as required.
The following is/are preferred:
- Familiarity with the various craft collective bargaining agreements for personnel in GCT.
- Thorough knowledge of Grand Central terminals’ physical characteristics including exits, stairways, elevators, escalators, etc
- Knowledge of Metro-North’s safety programs, policies and procedures (Safety record will be requested from Safety)
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or related field. Demonstrated equivalent experience, education and/or technical credentials may be considered in lieu of degree to include four (4) years of additional related experience.
- Minimum five-(5) years of experience managing building operations and/or construction activities.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience managing a diverse unionized workforce.
The following is/are preferred:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management or related field
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicological testing. Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.