Assistant Deputy Director- Maintenance Operation Center
Maintenance of Equipment
Grand Central Terminal.
$ 98,205.00 - $128,893.80
Open Until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
The purpose of this position is to lead a centralized, 24/7 team of highly skilled, Qualified Maintenance Personnel (QMP) and Technical Support field engineers to maximize availability of over 1,100 pieces of rolling stock, accelerate main-line recovery, ensure Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regulations, and implement service plan priorities for limited resources across the department’s 11 maintenance facilities and 1,700-plus rolling stock maintenance professionals. This position will assist in managing and coordinate the maintenance and repair of rolling stock to provide safe and reliable service; design and monitor workplace programs which re-enforce safe work practices. Meet Metro-North’s goals by maintaining and reinforcing appropriate behaviors and internal controls.
- Ensures safe, reliable rolling stock through oversight of FRA mandated daily Calendar Day Mechanical Inspection (49 CFR 238.305), Cab Signal (49 CFR 236.586), Air Brake Test (49 CFR 238.315); and required FRA schedule inspections on critical safety systems (238.307) for over 1,100 pieces of rolling stock.
- Leads over-the-road failure and train incident resolution through real-time interaction with train crews. In 2018, there were 6,421 incidents. Ensure accurate documentation of this information in the Incident Management System, Asset Management System, and Train Management Information System.
- Focal point to investigate customer feedback and safety incidents on rolling stock. In 2018, there were 509 incidents. Ensure Customer Feedback reports are inputted into the Incident Management System and resolved.
- Initiates Emergency and Weather Response Checklists. Develop, implement, and maintain the department’s “Critical Information List” and Quick Reaction Checklists to coordinate daily and emergency tasks.
- Ensures all deviations to the daily maintenance plan are reviewed and accurately reported (Call List for FRA and MNR scheduled maintenance cycles, car cleaning, car servicing). Ensures accurate Mean Distance Between Failure delay codes.
- Interfaces with Road Foreman’s Office to coordinate evaluations, testing, and equipment feedback. Coordinates necessary MN-401 changes and other operational documents.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience designing and monitoring effective workplace programs reinforcing safety.
- Excellent organizational and project management/planning skills
- Knowledge of (FRA) and other regulatory agencies requirements
- Strong knowledge of applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Excellent planning, coordinating, and prioritizing skills required.
- Strong collaboration/coordination skills required.
- Ability to provide leadership, decision making and motivation.
- Ability to work effectively under extreme pressure and within a changing environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of management within the organization and outside agencies.
- Working knowledge of an Asset Management System and an Integrated Financial System, preferably Peoplesoft.
- Working Knowledge of various software, including Microsoft Office Suite programs
- Strong collaborating skills and disciplinary experience
- Ability to work an extended tour of duty, as needed.
- Ability to work different shifts, as needed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering discipline or related business field. Demonstrated equivalent experience, education and/or technical credentials to include an additional four years of experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Minimum 7 years’ experience in a mechanical/electrical maintenance and repair of rolling stock.
This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to toxilogical testing. Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.