POSTING NO.: 3464
JOB TITLE: M of W - Work Equipment Machinist (Mechanic)
DEPT/DIV: M of W - Work Equipment
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroad in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Work Equipment Machinists troubleshoot, repair, and maintain mechanical machinery systems related to the Track and Structures department
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Perform required inspection, testing, and maintenance on various types of machinery (e.g., railway machinery, building systems)
- Troubleshoot equipment to determine causes of failures and perform corrective actions
- Repair and maintain heavy duty over-the-road machinery/vehicles (e.g., driveline, brakes, engines, steering, suspensions) in accordance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
- Repair and maintain machine appurtenances such as brooms, plows, buckets, saws, drills, generators, and compressors
- Perform structural repairs to machinery frames and attachments
- Troubleshoot and repair hydraulic, electric, and pneumatic machinery components
- Troubleshoot and repair HVAC systems and related components
- Read and understand various types of schematics to perform work
- Set up, adjust, and operate machining equipment (e.g., lathes, drills presses, grinders, mills, saws, shears) to machine raw materials and parts to specifications
- Use measuring tools (e.g., tape measure, micrometer, calipers, gauges) to measure materials and perform calculations
- Perform metal working tasks using metal shaping/forming tools (e.g., metal brake, shear)
- Use oxy-acetylene torch kits to heat and cut ferrous metal materials
- Use MIG, TIG and ARC welding techniques to complete required work
- Perform administrative tasks related to timekeeping, material procurement, work orders, and training activities
- Operate a motor vehicle to access job sites and perform work-related activities
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Must have a High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED), or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
- Must have a valid motor vehicle driver’s license and
- Must have a minimum of two (2) years of experience as a mechanic (e.g., pump mechanic, building maintenance mechanic, automotive mechanic, heavy machinery mechanic, etc.)
- Must have two (2) years of technical school or apprentice training in a mechanical field and one (1) year of field experience
- Three (3) or more years of field experience as a mechanic
- Technical training in a mechanical field
- Machine shop/Computer Numeric Control (CNC) equipment experience or training
- Experience in metal inert gas (MIG), tungsten inert gas (TIG), and/or arc welding
- Experience or training in diagnosing and repairing hydraulic, pneumatic, and/or electrical equipment
- Experience or training in diagnosing and repairing diesel and/or gasoline engines
- Experience in metal fabrication
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Operation and control skills
- Operation monitoring skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Active listening skills
- Equipment maintenance skills
- Troubleshooting skills
- Skilled in coordinating work
- Repairing skills
- Judgement and decision making skills; time management skills
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Reading comprehension skills
- Ability to precisely adjust controls
- Ability to identify and correct problems
- Ability to quickly respond to signals
- Oral and written comprehension ability
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations quickly and correctly
- Math knowledge
- Mechanical knowledge
- Knowledge of production and design
- Knowledge of general repair techniques
- Knowledge of operating and safety rules
- Knowledge of physical characteristics, knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Must complete all Metro-North Rail Road mandated training within one (1) year of hire/transfer
- Must provide necessary hand tools for job
Rate of Pay
The starting rate for this position is $28.10 per hour. The annual wage progression scale is as follows: Years 1= $28.10; Year 2=$28.10; Year 3=$30.11; Years 4=$32.11; Year 5&6=$34.12; Year 7=$36.13; Year 8=40.14. This rate is set by the collective bargaining agreement and is non-negotiable.
Credit toward the wage progression shall be granted with satisfactory documented proof of:
- Prior experience as a mechanic;
- A minimum of 12 credits of college coursework relevant to working as a machinist with a passing grade of C or higher;
- A minimum of 6 months of full-time enrollment in a state-approved mechanical trade school program;
- Prior experience as a mechanic on another railroad.
Applicants hired with four (4) or more years of documented mechanic experience (non-railroad) shall be paid as follows: Year 1=$32.11; Years 2&3=$34.12; Year 4=$36.13; Year 5=40.14.
In addition, applicants hired with seven (7) or more years of mechanic experience on another railroad shall be paid an hourly rate of $40.14.
MNR Health Insurance & Vacation
As a full-time employee, you are eligible for the following health and welfare benefits.
Our benefits program provides flexibility, protection, and value through:
- Health care benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Welfare Benefits, including basic and optional life, dependent life, basic and optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Health Care Account and Dependent Care Account
- Retirement benefits, including a retirement plan, 401(k) and 457 savings plans
Applicants will establish seniority in the International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers (IAM), the union representing Machinists, in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of IAM are subject to an initiation fee and monthly union dues.
Ability to work various hours, days, shifts and locations throughout Metro-North territory is required.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $108,638.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Details of physical activities include, but are not limited to:
- Pushing and pulling ability required to move materials and equipment with hand trucks, operate mechanical hand tools and engines (e.g., torque wrench, chainsaws, small engines), and align heavy machinery and maneuver repair components into position
- Ability to climb onto ladders and equipment to inspect and repair building systems and equipment (e.g., track equipment, building machinery, air conditioning units)
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces while navigating tracks and yard to access on-rail and hi-rail equipment
- Ability to regularly lift/carry tools, material and equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. (e.g., tool bags/carts, ladders, oil cans) and occasionally weighing up to 75 lbs. (e.g., hydraulic power units, wheels, joint bars, vibrator assembly)
- Color vision required to read schematics and identify signal indications on railways and machinery
Details of working conditions include, but are not limited to:
- Must be able to work various days, shifts and locations
- Must be available to be on call for assignments
- Works outside exposed to various weather conditions
- Works around moving machinery (e.g. trains, equipment)
- Works at heights up to 200 ft. from the ground and above water when performing work on bridges and viaducts
- Works mostly with others; Must also be able to work independently
- Must be able to work remotely and alone safely with no on-site Supervision
HOW TO APPLY:
- ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
- Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
- When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
- EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ON LINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
- MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
- The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.