POSTING NO.: 3446
JOB TITLE: Electrician Elevator Technician
DEPT/DIV: M of W
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
DEADLINE: Open until filled
Open until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroad in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Elevator technicians repair and maintain hydraulic and traction elevators and related equipment (e.g., relays, controls, wiring, contacts, cables, and doors) in Metro-North Stations and Facilities located in New York State to ensure proper working order and passenger safety and repair and maintain right of way generators.
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Perform maintenance and repairs on elevators and all related equipment
- Use hand and power tools and testing devices (tachometer, electrical tester, etc.)
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair problems with elevator systems (relays, controls, wiring, contacts, cables, and doors)
- Troubleshoot electromechanical components to identify the source of malfunction
- Install, repair, and maintain travel cables
- Comply with safety regulations, ASTM 17 and NYS Building Codes
- Maintain and repair electrical components (e.g., relays, control boards, timers, etc.)
- Assist external contractor during regular elevator car inspection
- Document all maintenance and repair work
- Participate in mandatory training to maintain elevator skills
- Participate in job safety briefings and ensure proper safety measures are taken during all work performed
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Must have High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) and
- Valid New York State (NYS) Dept. of Labor Elevator Mechanic license and
- Valid NYS motor vehicle driver license or equivalent
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to use multimeter, tachometer, and light tester
- Ability to read blueprints and electrical schematics
- Interpersonal skills; mechanical aptitude
- Troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Reading comprehension
- Ability to work well with others; knowledge of operating and safety rules
- Ability to anticipate and analyze problems and take corrective action
- Ability to use basic hand tools
- Ability to work while using a harness and in tight spaces and on ladders
- Ability to perform basic mathematics
- Must complete Metro-North respirator training and certification within 30 days of job award
- Must provide hand tools appropriate for job
- Must use/wear all safety related equipment in the performance of their duties
- Must become and maintain roadway worker, respirator, full arrest, and blood borne pathogens qualifications
- Must maintain NYS Elevator Mechanic License by completing NYS DOL approved continuing education
Rate of Pay
The starting rate for this position is $28.10 (70% of the full rate). The annual wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=70% > Year 2=70% > Year 3=75% > Year 4=80% > Year 5=85% > Year 6=85% > Year 7=90% > Year 8=100%. The 100% full rate of pay is $40.14.
This rate has been established by the collective bargaining unit and is non-negotiable.
An exception may be granted for a journeyman rate to anyone who has one of the following:
- Has completed a four-year, bona fide machinists’ apprenticeship program, OR
- Has had four years of full-time practical experience in the craft and can provide proof thereof (by means of a card or certificate)
For those approved for a journeyman rate, the wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=$32.11>Year 2&3=$34.12>Year 4=$36.13>Year 5=$40.14 of the full rate of pay.
MNR Health Insurance & Vacation
As a full-time employee, you are eligible for the following health and welfare benefits.
Our benefits program provides flexibility, protection, and value through:
- Health care benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Welfare Benefits, including basic and optional life, dependent life, basic and optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Health Care Account and Dependent Care Account
- Retirement benefits, including a retirement plan, 401(k) and 457 savings plans
Applicants will establish seniority in the International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers (IAM), the union representing Elevator Mechanics, in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of IAM are subject to an initiation fee and monthly union dues.
Ability to work various hours, days, and shifts located at Grand Central Terminal
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $108,638.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Details of physical activities include, but are not limited to:
- Ability to lift and carry tools and material weighing up to 50 lbs. (e.g., cable, ropes, motors, etc.) on a regular basis
- Ability to push and pull materials and equipment (e.g. cables, contactors, etc.)
- Ability to crouch, stoop, and kneel when performing maintenance, repairs, and inspections
- Ability to climb ladders while working in shaft, pit, etc.
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces to access elevator equipment
- Color vision required to “read” multi-conductor colored cable using A.I.W. Corp 18 AWG 30/C 1000V cable sample as test standard
Details of work conditions include, but are not limited to:
- Works in elevator shafts at heights up to 160 ft.
- Works within Limits of Grand Central Terminal
- Works around moving equipment (elevators and related equipment)
- Works in confined spaces while performing repairs and inspections
- Works around slippery surfaces (e.g., oil spills etc.)
HOW TO APPLY:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ON LINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.