JOB TITLE: Senior Manager – Card and Merchant Services
SALARY RANGE: $109,029 - $118,138
HAY POINTS: 702
DEPT/DIV: Revenue Management
SUPERVISOR: Deputy Director – Lease Accounting
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm (7 1/2 hours/day)
DEADLINE: Open until filled
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
Direct and manage Card & Merchant Services to ensure payment processing, to identify and develop insights to maximize revenue, minimize costs, and mitigate risks within our payments processing operations. Manage the Chase merchant card processing relationship. Responsible for ongoing data driven analytics and reporting to drive business decisions and strategies on payments processing.
- Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review performance of staff. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Oversee and manage the Finance payments processing to optimize the existing merchant acquiring relationship. Conduct detailed analysis of all merchant processing fees ($120M +) across all MTA agencies, including transaction data, chargebacks, and other metrics.
- Utilize data analysis tools to continuously assess payment processing performance, identify trends and patterns, as well as areas for further improvement. Analyze transaction data to identify trends, fraudulent activity and opportunities for revenue growth and cost savings.
- Identify, implement, document, and define drivers of all fees requiring extensive research with Card Brands (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB etc.); semi-annual updates required. Develop and implement a standardized reporting pack on all merchant processing activities including trends and emerging patterns. Support implementation of strategies to optimize the acquiring relationship, including negotiating fees and terms, and identifying opportunities for growth and optimization.
- Monitor and report on compliance with card network rules and regulations, including PCI-DSS and chargeback rules. Stay up to date with industry trends, best practices, regulations, and emerging technologies to drive innovation and continuous improvement.
- Conduct detailed analysis of business operations and workflows to identify areas for improvement and develop solutions to optimize performance. Develop and implement testing plans to validate solutions and ensure they meet business needs and requirements.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including finance, operations, consultants and legal, to gather data and develop insights to ensure that the acquiring relationship meets the needs of the business.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- All other assignments at the request of senior management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to effectively influence cultural change.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills and ability to engage multiple disciplines to work collaboratively on the project.
- Excellent quantitative, analytic, and deductive reasoning capabilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, and Hyperion or comparable applications.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong ability to adhere to deadlines to ensure accurate and efficient reporting of information, data, and Management presentations.
- In-depth knowledge of current fare payment processing systems and financial operations.
- Experience working cross functionally across different Agencies with ability to evaluate and synergize policy, procedures, and practices.
- Knowledge of database design as it relates to financial systems.
- Working knowledge of an automated financial system.
- Self-starter with ability to learn and document financial and operational processes without supervision.
- Ability to succeed in a fast paced / high pressure environment.
- Ability to understand and interpret contracts to manage financial compliance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Computer Science or business-related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from an accredited college may be considered in lieu of a degree. Minimum 7 years of recent, related experience which includes in depth knowledge of fare systems and dealing with technical issues around payments.
- Superior verbal and written interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of industry fare payment and processing trends, best practices, and technology, preferably in a commuter rail environment.
- A CPA and/or Master’s Degree
- Program Management, system project management certifications.
- Experience working with contracts (financial compliance and / or negotiation support).
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.