Job Title: Director, Workforce Planning
Salary Range: $119,749 - $199,582
Dept/Div: Information Technology
Supervisor: Deputy Chief, IT Resources & Planning
Location: 2 Broadway and other locations as required
Hours of Work: 9:00 AM -5:30 PM (7.5 hours/day) or as required
This position is an IT Director level position responsible for optimizing IT resources by identifying resource supply and demand and analyzing how IT resources are spent and the projects that they are supporting. It also has a large operational component in the management, assignment, and work monitoring of a large portion of the IT Department staff.
On a strategic level, this position leads workforce planning efforts to predict, based on analyses of the future workload of the Department, the technologies required to perform the work, the capacity in available work hours of the Department to perform this work, and the skills necessary to perform the work.
Based on such analyses, the position will develop and implement plans for acquiring the resources necessary to meet the anticipated demand, including full-time staff, as well as full and part-time consultants, develop and implement plans to train the existing staff on the new technologies and acquire any new skills necessary to meet the forecasted demand.
The position will organize, manage, and assign a large percent of IT Department’s staff to operating units to perform the work assigned to those units and such assignments may be short-term or long-term. To facilitate this process, this unit will collect the technical capabilities including licenses and certifications as well as experience of the existing workforce and maintain these in a skills bank. This will aid in optimizing the IT workforce to work on the assignments with the required skills to deliver on our business initiatives.
This position is responsible, in conjunction with MTA units, for developing career paths for the IT staff and for providing mentoring, coaching, training to assist the staff in achieving their career goals. Such goals will be set and designed primarily to meet the forecasted technical needs of the MTA IT Department.
The position is responsible for ensuring that the IT staff record on a timely basis, within the ServiceNow System, the work that they perform, and the time spent performing that work. Such information, while not used for timekeeping, is most important, in the analysis and planning of future work assignments, in capacity planning, and in providing progress reports to the IT Department’s customers.
The position is also responsible for overseeing the overtime use within the IT Department, as well as timekeeping functions, and miscellaneous supervisory and liaison activities related to staff availability and to the workload.
- Direct and lead IT’s workforce planning strategies, including providing analyses and forecasts, developing plans, and implementing such plans to ensure that the MTA IT Department is able to handle the workload now and into the future.
- Define and establish workforce planning strategies including utilization targets to identify and address gaps in the IT department and to ensure that the IT workforce is aligned to deliver on the MTA strategy and goals.
- Partner and collaborate with other IT Directors and Managers to ensure alignment and adoption strategies, tools and processes, including the provisioning and assignment of the resources required to handle the workload.
- Serve as a thought leader and advisor to the Deputy Chief Planning, Analysis & Resource Management on workforce planning strategies.
- Lead unit that has hundreds of staff and consultants assigned; provide management services to this staff, and assign the staff to operational units where they will receive specific work assignments.
- Lead unit that regularly processes and reviews work entry records for hundreds of MTA IT staff.
- Develop processes and strategies that result in attracting and retaining a highly qualified and diverse candidate pipeline
- Develop and administer training and career growth plans, provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling
- Develop and promote organizational change strategies to assist employee’s adoption to the new direction of IT (e.g., agile, product-based mindset)
Management and Oversight
- Develop and implement a variety of management techniques and services necessary across the IT organization to ensure that staff assignments are handled correctly and that service targets set are met.
- Manage IT employment trends to ensure IT workforce achieve high client satisfaction and deliver on client success
- On a day-to-day basis ensure that the assignment of staff to work and work to staff occurs smoothly throughout the IT Department.
- Work collaboratively with the senior management team to integrate cross program activities and functions necessary to achieve expected service delivery results.
- Own, execute and monitor strategic ad hoc projects, and special initiatives as directed by the Deputy Chief Planning, Analysis & Resource Management, CTO and senior MTA executive management; end-to-end from planning and program management to measuring results and recommending next steps.
- Executive experience, preferably in a high-performance team environment
- Extensive financial/budgeting planning and management experience.
- Exceptional experience navigating through the politics of a large multi-tiered, multi-agency public sector organization.
- Exceptional leadership skills, including the ability to motivate, coach and direct a team of seasoned leaders.
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships and develop the trust and confidence of various levels at the MTA and its operating agencies.
- Excellence in communications and issue escalation/resolution with executive leadership.
- Exceptional presentation and facilitation skills with extensive cross-group coordination at all levels.
- Advanced organizational skill, with the ability to define, re-organize the IT department to meet the growing demands of services and new technologies.
- Ability to fit in with the constant shifting needs and demands of the organization.
- Negotiation, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills are essential.
- Ability to develop strategies to balance stakeholders competing goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a staff with responsibility towards a section/division budget.
- Demonstrate an understanding and ability to effectively and consistently administer Corporate Policies and procedures.
- Proven decision-making, critical thinking, and analytical, skills.
- Must be creative, innovative, and an adaptable professional.
- Must be public relations oriented with excellent people management skills; with the ability to select, motivate, and develop personnel.
- High level of professional integrity and work ethic with a dedication in providing high quality service.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain strong work relationships with individuals from all levels.
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, Business, Information Services or related field.
- A minimum of twelve (12) years of information technology experience.
- A minimum of six (6) years of experience managing professional staff or equivalent leadership experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience managing a cross-functional team for various sized projects, preferably with the experience being in an IT environment directing and leading IT staff.
- Comprehensive and proven knowledge of IT processes and methodologies.
- Master’s Degree in related field preferred.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.