POSTING NO: 2984
JOB TITLE: Foreman – Mechanical
DEPT/DIV: Maintenance of Equipment
FULL/PART TIME: Full
DEADLINE: September 29, 2023
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroad in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
MECHANICAL FOREMAN provide frontline leadership to Mechanical department craft employees (i.e., Carmen, Coach Cleaners, Electricians, Laborers, Machinists and Sheet Metal Workers) in the maintenance and repair of Metro-North Railroad (MNR) rolling stock.
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Ensure adherence to the Mechanical Department and organization wide safety programs, procedures, goals and objectives
- Supervise quality of work to ensure compliance with Mechanical, Safety, applicable electrical codes, CFR, FRA and OSHA standards
- Coordinate daily work assignments
- Provide updates on projects to Supervisor
- Instruct employees regarding safety procedures and proper task performance
- Document work assignments by completing daily work reports, job safety briefings, etc. and archive into department database
- Inspect electrical and mechanical systems, equipment and/or components to identify hazards, defects, adjustments or repair to ensure code compliance
- Review project scopes, work plans, field drawings, part lists, prints, schematics and operating manuals for accuracy and to ensure compliance with end product
- Maintain records of attendance and other related paperwork for all employees under their direct supervision
- Review Kronos timekeeping system for accuracy and complete paperwork verifying staff work schedules
- Draft IR-1 reports, take statements and ensure all steps are followed in the event of injury
- Conduct job safety briefings to advise employees of possible safety hazards and to delegate tasks prior to beginning work or whenever conditions change
- Ensure employees wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required to perform work
- Provide guidance and direction to employees
- Schedule and coordinate staff to ensure appropriate coverage
- Estimate and order materials as necessary
- Ensure staff has all necessary resources to perform work
- Expose employees to different areas to develop and maintain proficiency levels
- Assist with building a positive team environment built on respect, professionalism, fairness and collaboration
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma, Test Assessing Secondary Completion.
- Two (2) years of experience in a technical craft (e.g., Electrician, Machinist, Carman, Plumber, Sheet Metal Worker, etc.) within Metro-North M of E, M of W or GCT departments OR
- Two (2) years of Metro-North experience in a non-technical craft (e.g., Coach Cleaner, Coach Cleaner Foreman, Laborer, etc.) and two years of previous experience performing technical (i.e., mechanical or electrical) work.
*Demonstrated equivalent technical education may be considered in lieu of up to one year of technical experience.
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience working in a supervisory or leadership role
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to quickly and accurately perform basic mental mathematical calculations; reading comprehension ability; interpersonal skills; customer service oriented; mechanical aptitude; skilled in exercising independent judgment; ability to anticipate and analyze problems and take corrective actions; must be able to evaluate a situation to make decisions and work under pressure; written and verbal communication skills; ability to multi-task; must be able to function effectively under changing priorities; ability to lead others; knowledge of operating and safety rules; knowledge of physical characteristics; skilled in reading electrical prints, schematics, drawings, specifications and electrical manuals; must be safety conscious.
- Knowledge of rolling stock, electrical standards and codes, (e.g., NEC, NFPA, etc.); familiarity of working with electrical materials and installation; working knowledge of Kronos, Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook, AMS (Asset Management System), AMS Touchscreen, IMS (Incident Management System), Identity Access Management System (IAMS), Citrix and TMS (Terminal Management System).
Rate of Pay
The starting rate of 70% for this position is equivalent to $29.89.The wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=70%>Year 2=70%>Year 3=75%>Year 4=80%>Year 5=85%>Year 6=85%>Year 7=90%>Year 8=100%.The full rate of pay is $45.98 per hour.
This salary is non-negotiable, based on the current Mechanical Foreman's rate as per the ARSA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
MNR Health Insurance & Vacation
As a full-time employee, you are eligible for the following health and welfare benefits.
Our benefits program provides flexibility, protection, and value through:
- Health care benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Welfare Benefits, including basic and optional life, dependent life, basic and optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Health Care Account and Dependent Care Account
- Retirement benefits, including a retirement plan, 401(k) and 457 savings plans
New employees will establish seniority in the American Railway & Airway Supervisors' Association (ARSA), the union representing Electricians, in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members are subject to an initiation fee and monthly union dues.
Must have the ability to work various hours, days, shifts and locations.
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $101,379.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain all the following qualifications every three years: Qualified Maintenance Person (QMP) Periodic, Qualified Maintenance Person Calendar Day Maintenance Inspection (QMP CDMI), MN401 (brake tests), cab signal and powered industrial truck.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain all the following qualifications annually: blue signal protection/operating rules, blood borne pathogens, Lockout Tagout, respirator training, clearance and right to know, etc.
- Must adhere to prescribed dress code.
- Must adhere to MNR and department attendance policies.
Details of physical activities include, but are not limited to:
- Effectively communicate with contractors and other Mechanical Department personnel.
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces while navigating track and yard.
- Ability to stoop, crouch, kneel and bend to perform inspections and troubleshoot malfunctions.
Details of working conditions include, but are not limited to:
- Must be able to work various days, shifts and locations.
- Work around moving machinery (e.g., elevators, equipment, etc.)
- Must be able to report to constantly changing work conditions.
- Must be available to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
- Works indoors and outdoors exposed to various types of weather conditions.
- Works primarily with others, but must also be able to work independently.
- May work at heights up to 15 feet from the ground.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.