Director– Equipment Engineering
M of E Equipment Engineering
$115,568.00 - $151,683.53
Open until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position is responsible for leading the Equipment Engineering Department in all aspects to deliver engineering analysis, and corrective action determination of electrical, mechanical and control systems for Metro-North Railroad rolling stock, both existing and future.
- Provide Equipment Engineering direction, leadership, and budgetary control, and apply ISO 9000 elements to enhance Equipment Engineering functions.
- Provide engineering specifications and design reviews for new equipment procurement.
- Provide engineering specifications and design reviews for existing equipment overhauls.
- Provide engineering resources for failure analysis and material support functions.
- Monitor and ensure compliance to existing and future FRA regulations and mandates regarding equipment configuration.
- Participate in strategic planning within the Operations Division to achieve the goals of the Operating Department
- Excellent knowledge of CAD/CAE, preferably in a LAN environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong technical, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering structure and design
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to foster teamwork
- Strong management and coordination skills to plan, direct, control and implement policies and procedures/compliance.
- Familiarity with and understanding of accounting principles to project the cost savings of short- and long-term equipment upgrades, forecasting and the management of an operating budget.
- Familiarity with ISO 9000 elements
- Familiarity with 49CFR (Code of Federal Regulations)
- Demonstrated knowledge of both electrical and mechanical maintenance practices
- Knowledge of standard safety practices rules and regulations
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or comparable applications
- Must have a valid driver’s license
The following is/are preferred:
- Familiarity with Metro-North Railroad railcar, and locomotive structure and design
- Familiarity with FRA regulations and AAR standard specifications
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering and/or related discipline.
- Minimum of ten (10) years in an increasingly responsible complex management experience in the field of engineering, which includes creating, designing and/or drawing specifications and modifications of equipment, preferably experience working on electric passenger railcars/locomotives or related.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience managing projects, subordinates, and/or a diverse workforce
The following Education is preferred
• Master’s Degree in Engineering
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicological testing. Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.