M of W Signals
420 Lexington Ave.
$79,548.00 - $104,406.75
Open Until Filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
The purpose of this position is to assist the Senior Engineer Signal Design in the development of safety critical designs, plans, and layouts for Metro-North’s wayside signal system. Ensure adherence to all Metro-North, Federal and State requirements and regulations relating to railroad signal system. Design and engineer Vital and Non-vital signal circuits. Design modifications to the various signal systems of Metro-North, ensuring the safety of the signal system.
- Design and engineer modifications, additions, and interfaces for new and existing signal systems, maintain integrity and assure safety of the signal systems.
- Check and review other design projects and As-In-Service plans executed by other Circuit Engineers and Assistant Circuit Engineers.
- Ensure compliance with Federal Railway Administration (FRA) regulations for wayside signal system and grade crossings.
- Manage and provide technical assistance and information to Signal Department personnel, Field Construction and Maintenance forces. Supports implementation of systems with field construction
- Strong knowledge of Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and State Regulations concerning Signal Systems.
- Knowledge of CAD systems.
- Knowledge of standard safety rules and procedures as they apply to signal systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Must be able to work in a high-profile/high-pressure environment.
- Ability to indirectly supervise.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with internal departments, management, and outside agencies.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office i.e. (Word Access, Excel, PowerPoint) and/or comparable applications.
- Ability to implement and participate in Metro-North Railroad’s Priority One Safety Program
- Ability to work outside of normal working hours as needed to support maintenance and construction projects.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
The following is/are preferred:
- Familiarity with Metro-North’s operating rules, policies, and procedures
- Familiarity with Auto Cad
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering and/or related engineering discipline.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience (or satisfactory completion of MNR Associate Engineer Program) in all aspects of railroad signal design, maintenance and/or construction to include:
- Maintenance and operations of wayside signal.
- Traction power systems-knowledge of both relay circuits and microprocessor-based controlled logic.
- Maintenance, testing and installation of real-time remote control CTC and SCADA software applications and equipment of similar systems.
- Minimum of three (3) years of supervisory experience or comparable experience in coordination of signal circuit designs and revisions with field construction personnel or coordination with other design personnel (or satisfactory completion of MNR Associate Engineer Program).
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicological testing. Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.