Job Title: Product Director, Citizen Development Product Line
Salary Range: $122,862.00 - $204,770.00
Hay Points: 994
Dept/Div: IT/IT Product Management
Supervisor: Deputy Chief, Agile & Citizen Product Group
Location: 2 Broadway New York NY 10004
Hours of Work: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM (7.5 hours/day)
A Citizen Developer is a non-professional developer who builds applications for use by their business unit. Although they do not report directly to IT, they use tools such as no-code or low code platforms that are sanctioned by IT. The Citizen Developers require guidance and training and the applications that they develop must be reviewed by IT Products and IT Security for compliance and adherence to good development standards. A governance that will provide oversight and the rules for engagement and support of citizen developed applications is needed.
The Product Director of Citizen Development Product Line will set the direction for no code or low code development, provide oversight and code reviews, as well as establish the rules of engagement and clear boundaries for development for Citizen Developers. The Director will develop an adaptive governance framework to mitigate shadow IT risks by working with business unit leaders to enlist Citizen Developers to provide application development standards and guidance in various low-code platforms, to perform code reviews and to provide general support. The Product Director will lead a team of application development professionals that will manage the low-code platforms and work directly with the Citizen Development community. Current platforms that are supported for Citizen Development are Microsoft Power Platform (Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate), however the list continues to grow.
The Product Director of Citizen Development Product Line is responsible for developing and maintaining the Citizen Development platform product line and in essence owns the product life cycle for many such products. The Product Director will provide leadership for their product lines in agile transformation and drive the digital agenda and roadmaps for application and/or infrastructure products. This position will manage a team of product managers and agile coaches responsible for defining the launch of new products and services, developing technical roadmaps for existing products and delivering product features in an agile environment. The Product Director will also ensure that applications or products developed by Citizen Developers are socialized and aligned with the associate business capability portfolio of products.
The Product Director is responsible for one or more teams led by Product Managers (L-4 Level Managers) that each are responsible for one or more application-based and/or infrastructure-based products. The Product Director is responsible for management, staffing and supervision of the assigned products within the assigned product lines.
This position also entails developing and maintaining highly effective, secure, and innovative information systems to support the MTA’s goals and priorities.
Enterprise Product Planning
- Foster a community of Citizen Developers that create small low code apps.
- Provide application development standards, guidelines and boundaries for development.
- Form user groups and communities of practice to foster information and code sharing.
- Perform code reviews by developers and security personnel to ensure proper and secure coding.
- Review functionality of Citizen Developer applications against product roadmaps
- Develop internal MTA IT Citizen Developer Low-Code qualification levels based on development experience and platform development complexity.
- Develop roadmaps for low-code platform technology.
- Conduct workshops, pod casts and or blogs on platform features, application development standards and application design patterns
- Review code work for accuracy, functionality and efficient algorithm design
- Analyze code segments regularly.
- Keep up to date with industry trends and technology developments.
- Lead a team of product managers responsible for creating transformation roadmaps with long and short-term plans for new and improved processes and policies. Manage product managers in the development of backlog management and user-story build-out.
- Lead others that will consist of one or more agile coaches, data analytic researchers and other digital transformation personnel.
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness; sustain culture and supporting staff during organizational growth/changes.
- Provide direction on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of information systems, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems.
Human Resource Management
- Attract, develop, coach and retain high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control and performance in conjunction with the IT Workforce Planning & Workload Management office.
- Build Product manager expertise and competence to meet evolving demands within the Enterprise Product Management unit.
- Demonstrate consistent understanding of funding, communications and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the program goals.
- Maintain contact with key IT suppliers and collaborates through IT Business Management Services to identify procurement contracts to support program related activities.
Strategy & Planning
- Assesses and makes recommendations on the improvement and re-engineering within division and work with the stakeholders at the agencies at keeping the total cost of ownership down.
- Promote the use of employee self -service and mobile connectivity within products to reduce the reliance of paper.
- Automation of business process creating in-line forms and approvals, reducing the reliance on manual approves that could be untimely.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Coordinates and facilitates consultation with stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new technology implementations, developing business case and cost justifications for such initiatives.
- Provides direction on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of information systems, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems.
- Advises MTA IT management in the changing trends and emerging technology and their potential use within the MTA.
- Directs the development of the analysis required to determine if Information Technology projects should follow a “Build” (develop with in-house staff) or “Buy” (cloud or packaged solution) methodology.
- Directs the development and implementation of new modules within assigned products.
- Advises on the selection, prioritization, development and implementation on products as they relate to the selection, acquisition, development, and installation of MTA IT applications and infrastructure.
Management and Oversight
- Participates in overall business planning bringing a current knowledge and future vision of technology and systems as related to the company’s goals.
- Responsible for monitoring various product progress on Information Technology deliverables ensuring that the IT needs of the MTA are met on time and within budget, including identifying weekly, monthly and annual performance targets to show progress on IT product projects.
- Ensure continuous delivery of product services through oversight of service level agreements with end users and monitoring of product performance.
- Responsible for the recruitment, development, motivation, training and retention of a diverse and high performing multi-level IT team professionals, conforming to budgetary objectives and Human Resources policy and programs in conjunction with the IT Workforce Planning & Workload Management office.
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives keeping customizations to a minimum and total cost of ownership down.
- Successful track record in design of software systems to meet the current and future needs of a complex transportation organization OR
- Successful track record in design and implementation of IT Infrastructure and related hardware and software technologies to meet the current and future needs of a complex transportation organization.
- Experience in the areas of strategic planning, business planning, data analysis, data reporting, and statistical process control a plus.
- Knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements pertaining to areas supervised a plus o Excellent verbal/written communications skills.
- Organizational skill, to manage a complex organization within a complex organization.
- Financial/budgeting planning and management experience a plus.
- Ability to fit in with the constant shifting needs and demands of the business Departments.
- 5 years low-code development experience (e.g., Power BI, PowerApps, Salesforce).
- Low-code development certifications a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of software development and modern application design including API, containers and microservices.
- Solid experience in coding.
- Strong knowledge of user interfaces and user experience design.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, Business Administration, Engineering, Finance, Information Services. An equivalent combination of education and may be considered in lieu of a degree.
A minimum of 8 years of Information Technology experience with at least 4 years of progressive IT managerial experience.
Please be advised that pursuant to MTA Code of Ethics and New York State Ethics Law, you have been designated as a policy maker. Therefore, you will be required to file an annual financial disclosure statement with the Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government. The Commission will notify you of this filing requirement via your work email. Upon receipt of notification from the Commission you will have 30 days to complete your financial disclosure statement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.