Assistant Deputy Director- Ridership Analysis
Operations Planning and Analysis
420 Lexington Ave.
$ 98,205.00 - $128,893.80
Open Until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position directs the compilation and reporting of ridership data to support service planning and provides both regular cyclical and ad hoc reports to MNR Committee, MTA Board, MNR Executive committee, and regional partners and municipalities. Serves as resident expert on ridership data and passenger counting technology.
- Lead effort to design, maintain, and improve modern ridership databases and technologies for Metro-North, including the implementation, calibration, analysis, and distribution of ridership calculations based on data sources including but not restricted to:
- Ticket sales data
- Automated Passenger Counting technologies (e.g., LiDAR, signal, or camera-based counting of individual riders)
- Load Weigh technology
- Direct all passenger counting activities, including the analysis and reporting of passenger count results
- Direct the preparation of all monthly ridership reports for presentation to senior management, the LIRR/MNR Committee, CTDOT and other agencies, and direct ongoing analysis and reporting of ridership trends on daily, weekly, and other timescales
- Lead Ridership Analysis team, including staff development, training, work assignment and providing regular feedback on performance.
- Provide regular assessment and subsequent updates of analytical tools, demographic assumptions, and other support technology.
- Advise Operations Planning staff and other senior MNR and MTA management on ridership analysis; oversee the handling of all press related inquiries regarding ridership conditions
- Outstanding quantitative and analytical skills.
- Expert knowledge of data analysis programs (SQL, Python, R, etc.)
- Excellent organizational skills needed to manage complex databases.
- Expert coding experience
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including strong presentation skills.
- Expert ability to work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize workload while adhering to deadlines.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, Access) and/or comparable PC applications
- Expert statistical knowledge (Statistical sampling, regression, confidence intervals).
- Knowledge of rail transit or other public transportation operations.
- Excellent ability to evaluate ridership impacts of potential service changes on our customers and MNR operations.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational, analytical, problem solving and planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to speak effectively with internal departments, the public and various types and levels of public agencies.
- Demonstrated leadership, and management skills with the ability to train, motivate and foster teamwork.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with the ability to develop strategic initiatives.
- Strong ability to operate effectively in high pressure situations with flexibility to adapt to change.
- Strong ability to exercise a high level of independent judgment and decision-making.
The following is/are preferred:
- Proven knowledge of Power BI
Familiarity with Metro-North Railroad Operations, schedule planning, and strategic initiatives.
Required Education and Experience
- Demonstrate equivalent experience, education and /or technical credentials may be considered in lieu of degree to include additional four (4) years of experience.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of blended relevant experience in transportation planning and analysis, including ridership analysis and statistics and using spreadsheets and database management programs
Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing teams and /or projects
The following is/are preferred, but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
- Masters Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Data Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in data analysis, transit planning, ridership analysis and project management.
This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to toxilogical testing. Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.