M of W
October 25th, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service, and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Install, repair, maintain, and inspect all portions of track including rail, ties, switches, and insulated joints
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Prepare track for installation of ties using manual tools such as ballast fork and
- Remove and replace track components (e.g., ties, rails, bars) using manual tools
and power tools (e.g., sledgehammer, lining bar, lag gun).
- Operate gas, hydraulic, and electric tools to maintain track structure.
- Drill holes through rails for insertion of bolts using rail drills.
- Secure ties and rail using power and manual tools.
- Cut and install rail using an abrasion saw.
- Load, unload, and transport material, tools, and equipment (e.g., ties, trackjack, laggun) to and from work site.
- Repair defects in tracks as directed.
- Clean and maintain equipment used to perform track work.
- Lubricate switches with oil.
- Erect speed signs and working limits stop signs as directed.
- Pick up debris along right-of-way and in yards.
- Clean up work site.
- Written test, structured interview, physical abilities test.
- Must successfully complete all applicable federally mandated and MNR safety and operation training. Training involves classroom instruction and on-the-job training.
- Must become Roadway Worker qualified.
- Must have a High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED), or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) and
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year of full-time experience involving manual labor.
- Valid motor vehicle driver’s license.
- Valid commercial driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Operation and control skills, operation monitoring skills, equipment maintenance skills, troubleshooting skills, communication skills, interpersonal skills, skilled in coordinating work, repairing skills, active listening skills, judgment and decision making skills, time management skills, reading comprehension skills, oral and written comprehension ability, ability to perform basic mathematical calculations quickly and correctly, ability to identify and, correct problems, ability to quickly respond to signal, mechanical knowledge, lift tools and materials weight up to 75 pounds.
- Must obtain and maintain necessary qualifications (e.g., roadway worker)
Must be able to use a company vehicle to access various work sites.
Rate of pay
The starting rate for this position is $23.83/hour (65% of the full rate). The annual wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=65% > Year 2=70% > Year 3=75% > Year 4=80% > Year 5=90% > Year 6=100%. The 100% full rate of pay is $36.66/hour.
This salary is non-negotiable, based on the IBT Collective Bargaining Agreement.
MNR Health Insurance & Vacation
As a full-time employee, you are eligible for the following health and welfare benefits.
Our benefits program provides flexibility, protection, and value through:
- Health care benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Welfare Benefits, including basic and optional life, dependent life, basic and optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance.
- Disability benefits.
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Health Care Account and Dependent Care Account.
- Retirement benefits, including a retirement plan, 401(k) and 457 savings plans.
New employees will establish seniority in the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT), the union representing Trackworkers, in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of IBT are subject to an initiation fee and monthly membership dues.
Must have the ability to work various hours, days, shifts, and locations throughout Metro-North territory.
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad, you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $108,638.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
DETAILS OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Pushing and pulling ability required to use, move, inspect, and repair materials and equipment.
- Ability to climb on and off ladders and track machinery to inspect and repair track and to use equipment.
- Ability to walk long distances (up to 2 miles) on uneven surfaces while navigating tracks and yard while carrying tools to access various field locations on or about the right of way.
- Ability to regularly lift/carry tools, material, and equipment weighing up to 55 lbs. (e.g., track jack, claw bar, lining bar, nut runner, joint bar, lag gun, rail saw, etc.) and occasionally up to 75 lbs. (e.g., keg of spikes, ties, etc.).
- Ability to crouch, reach, and bend when inspecting equipment and track work.
DETAILS OF WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Must be able to work various days, shifts and locations.
- Must be available to be on call for assignments.
- Works outside exposed to various weather conditions.
- Works around moving machinery (e.g., trains, equipment).
- Works at heights up to 200 ft. from the ground and above water when performing work on bridges and viaducts.
- Works mostly with others; Must also be able to work independently.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.