Senior Engineer- Track Construction, Inspection and Testing
M of W
North White Plains
$89,892.00 - $117,983.25
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position is responsible for the managing of track projects for In-House and On-Call Engineering projects including inspection services, field measurement & testing, surveys, and construction support with MNR and CDOT to ensure the appropriate inspection, maintenance and repair work is performed on the MNR’s track infrastructure for safe train operations. The Senior Engineer position will also serve as a representative that manages and coordinates Contractor Inspection Services, In-House Projects and provide technical support to C&D projects in NY and CT involving Track and Structures to ensure MofW’s needs are addressed. Assist in the analysis of inspection and testing data to prioritize short- and long-term maintenance work programs. The programs shall maintain the track infrastructure in a state of good repair throughout MNR territory.
- Oversee Construction, Inspection and Testing Services for In-House and On-Call Engineering Projects related to Track and Structures including track geometry and engineering inspection of track infrastructure.
- Analyze track inspection and testing data and assist the maintenance forces to locate the defects and track the repair of defects.
- Organize and maintain track inspection and testing data to identify trends for forecasting future needs.
- Review all design plans, specifications, work procedures and schedules for projects prepared by third party consultants working o on NY and CT projects to ensure compliance with MNR design standards and requirements.
- Represent MNR at job meetings, trainings, and field support to provide guidance and clarify design requirements and code compliance.
- Assist other groups (e.g., Track dept, external consultants, Power, C&S, Transportation, Stations, etc.) with track design and evaluation needed for In-House Projects such as track component design and track inspection.
- Demonstrated knowledge of civil engineering geometry, site design, survey, and layout.
- Strong oral presentation and written communication skills.
- Strong decision-making, organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with others at various levels throughout the organization.
- Ability to work independently to determine work needs, schedule, project tasks and deliverables with limited supervision.
- Strong project management and coordination skills which includes quality control and quality assurance measures.
- Ability to stay current on track infrastructure issues as related to railroad activities.
- Proficient in AutoCAD and/or MicroStation and Civil Software Design and analysis packages.
- Knowledge MS Office Suite and/or comparable PC applications.
- Available and on call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week as required.
- Valid Driver’s license.
Required Education and Experience
- BS or BE in Civil Engineering or related field from an ABET accredited school.
- Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate (EIT)
- Minimum four (4) years of experience in civil engineering design and site layout.
- Minimum three (3) years of project management experience with adherence to deadlines
The following is/are preferred:
- Knowledge of FRA regulations and AREMA standards.
- NY and/or CT Professional Engineer (PE) license or the ability to gain reciprocity.
- Knowledge railroad operations.
- Construction management experience.
This is a federally regulated position, and is subject to toxilogical testing. Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.