Title: Director of Legal Support
First Date of Posting: 6/23/2023
Last Date of Filing: Until Filled
Department: General Counsel
Reports To: Deputy General Counsel, Torts
Work Location: 130 Livingston Street, Brooklyn
Hours of Work: 9AM-5PM
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire. Union represented titles are not eligible for telework.
$77,463 - $114,945 (Grade F, 479pts)
This position is responsible for a public liability budget of approximately $226 million in 2022. The selected candidate will manage and direct departmental-wide continuous improvement process as well as direct outside services, including but not limited to the Independent Medical Examination Unit (IME), to ensure the availability of accurate and Board Certified physicians for approximately 3000 examinations yearly. Plans, manages, directs, and runs all reports in cooperation with the MTA managerial monthly reports; and maintains the integrity of the Torts and Diagnostic file rooms.
- Maintain responsibility for management of outside services in the Torts Division, including but not limited to outside counsel, retention of medical and non-medical experts, court reporters and interpreters, with a view towards continuing budgetary savings by moving appropriate functions in-house and determining mechanisms to reduce cost of outside services.
- Design, develop, test and implement computer programs to expedite the handling of all electronic data functions for the Torts division. Programs are developed to ensure the integrity of all financial and legal data.
- Plan, manage and direct the scheduling and processing of approximately 3000 IME’s providing continuous resolutions regarding any discrepancies in medical reports and related activities.
- Manage and formulate all reports in connection with BI, PD, Administrative/Non-Administrative dispositions, Verdicts, Appeals, Settlements as well as tracking managerial and non-Managerial productivity.
- Plan, manage and direct the workflow process and maintenance of records retrieval of Tort Litigation claim files.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of five (5) years of related experience
- A minimum of three (3) Years of managerial/supervisory experience
- Or a satisfactory equivalent
Desired Skills:Must have working knowledge of all legal documents, New York Civil Procedures, Court Calendars.
Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, Outlook).
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policy making position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
How To Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.