Departments Information Technology
Location NYC (Various – Onsite)
Position Title MTA Technology & Engineering Fellows
Salary Undergraduate: $21.00 p/hr
The MTA Information Technology (IT) department's mission is to deliver innovative and responsive solutions that enable safe, effective, and efficient transportation operations which strategically align with the overarching corporate MTA goals. IT will partner with all MTA business units to understand the overall information needs of the transportation agencies and the communities they serve to optimize the adoption and use of information technology.
Project Responsibilities MTA IT’s Functional Areas are seeking interns to focus on projects in the team portfolio and contribute to MTA’s digital transformation including areas such as Cybersecurity, IT Product Management (including software development), IT Infrastructure, Enterprise Strategy and Architecture, and Business Operations.
- Support the IT dept in planning and implementation activities, both strategic and tactical, including product, portfolio, program, project, business & management, and operational planning; This includes (but is not limited to) research, design activities, planning, internal and customer coordination, as well as assigning, tracking, monitoring, and reporting on product lifecycles, programs, and projects
- Learn and support business and/or technical analysis and design activities, both strategic and tactical. This includes (but is not limited to) research, collection, review, and analysis of data, design activities, and the production of data tables, spreadsheets, reports, presentations, etc.
- Perform business and technical operational activities designed to keep the IT systems and infrastructure fully operational. This includes (but is not limited to) performing specific technical work assigned to the specific IT units assigned as well as recording and tracking requests and incidents, product and product tasks, projects and project tasks, and other work assignments, collecting statuses, entering data into relevant systems, and producing reports and presentations
- Contribute and support in the evaluation of new products and technologies
- Maintain departmental records, answering calls, emails, and other communications from customers in a timely and accurate manner. This includes (but is not limited to) technical and business documentation, help files, "how-to" videos, service alerts, technical instructions, service advisories, customer and staff communications, and policies and procedures.
- Perform general administrative tasks, attend meetings as appropriate and will be responsible for taking and distribution of notes.
- Support and participate the development and maintenance of IT software products as well as in the development and maintenance IT platforms and databases
- Partner with IT architectural activities to support in application architecture, infrastructural architecture, cloud architecture, and data architecture
- Planning and support for Cybersecurity including, operations, and administration activities. This includes (but is not limited to) architectural, engineering, and analytic planning and operational tasks.
- Provide support in a wide range of infrastructure technical support services to clients at MTA sites and in remote locations, as well as for MTA and cloud-based data centers. This includes (but is not limited to), including preparation, installation, maintenance, and upgrade of hardware devices, software, apps and files, and connection to data, voice, and mobile networks, as well as providing access as required.
- Assist in performing various IT business functions. This includes (but is not limited to the ordering, receipt, preparation, distribution, inventory, storage, tracking, vendor repair/replacement, disposal, and reporting of technology assets utilized throughout the organization, and HR coordination, contract management, financial analysis, cost control, and related business management functions.
- Major(s) Preferred: Computer Science, Data Analytics, Business Marketing, Business Administration, Public Management, Public Policy, Transportation Planning, Transportation Engineering, Operations Research, Architecture & Engineering Communications and/or in similar area
- Excellent technical, quantitative, and analytical skills
- Excellent research skills
- Interest in public transportation and transit issues
- Ability to work independently and with very detailed information
- Proficiency in MS Excel
Other highly desirable skills include:
- Familiarity with emerging technologies, including automated data collection in transit applications, processing algorithms, web-based reporting tools, and mobile devices / tablets
- Familiarity with programming languages
- Fluency in both PC / Mac.
- Knowledgeable in design techniques, tools, principles.
- Understand Typography.
- Multimedia content development.
- Media production, communication, and dissemination techniques.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative/Illustrator/InDesign/ Suite Photoshop, Apple Final Cut Pro, CAAD Software.
Requirements Undergraduate – Undergraduate student (or within 12 months of graduation) in good standing with at least 2.8 GPA
All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
The MTA does not sponsor for H1-B applications or applications for permanent citizenship for this program.
Students’ transcript must be submitted.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.