Description Job Information
Title: Train Service Supervisor, S.P.E.E.D. Unit (Subway Performance Evaluation, Education, and
Authority: New York City Transit
Division/Unit: Operations Support
Reports to: Director - SPEED Unit
Hours of Work: Various, including nights and weekends
The Department of Subways is looking for motivated supervisors to join an innovative interdivisional effort to
improve subway safety, performance, and efficiency. The Subway Performance Evaluation, Education, and
Development Unit (S.P.E.E.D. Unit) is tasked with performing a variety of Quality Assurance and System
Integration work while giving special consideration to human factors and employee education. Since its
inception in 2018, the unit has been leading the effort to improve speed & capacity within Service Delivery,
through efforts such as time control signal testing, running time testing, civil speed limit review, and others.
The work of the unit is continuing to result in significant running time savings for many portions of the subway
There is no better time than now to join the dynamic and industry leading “Speed Team” as we all work
together to improve the safety, efficiency, and performance of our transit system.
Note: This posting is open for Internal Candidates only
Note: You will maintain your current rate of pay.Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform Quality Assurance functions using a variety of methods to provide safe & efficient
service to our customers. This position requires the incumbent to interface with as well as provide support,
summaries, reports, and associated documentations to Service Delivery(SD), Division of Car Equipment
(DCE), Operations Planning (OP), Maintenance of Way (MOW), Operations Training (OT), MTA Construction
& Development (MTA C&D), the Office of System Safety (OSS), the Office of Labor Relations (OLR), and
other divisions/units as required.
The incumbent will, as part of a team, supervise, conduct, and document test trains and other activities
throughout the entire subway for various purposes and in support of various interdivisional initiatives. The
incumbent will identify, investigate, and compile detailed reports on topics which affect system performance,
integration, and efficiency. Incumbents will review system engineering diagrams and documentation in order to understand and comment on how they affect operating employees. The incumbent will educate operating
employees on topics related to optimal safety, performance, and efficiency. Additionally, they will assist in the
development of programs and policies which improve safety and performance within the operation and
consider human factors. The incumbent will maintain familiarity with the duties of train movement personnel
and tower operations system wide.
Education and Experience
- Supervise and conduct test trains throughout the entire subway system.
- Evaluate & educate employees on operations topics related to system performance as well as optimal operation.
- Maintain Train Operator qualification on all revenue equipment and on all portions of the transit system.
- Compile data and report on topics related to system performance, integration, and human factors.
- Use relational databases and other analytical tools to record and analyze data related to system performance and unit activities.
- Perform trend analyses as well as various administrative and program development functions.
Candidates must have a High School Diploma or equivalency.
Candidates must have a minimum of one (1) year in the title of Train Service Supervisor.Desired Skills
- Extensive knowledge of NYCT operating rules, policies and procedures.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Superior and demonstrable train handling skills, including the ability to maintain a precise speed on all revenue equipment for extended distances.
- Qualification and/or extensive familiarity with the duties of Train Movement personnel.
- Radar Gun usage and qualification.
- Proficiency with MS Office and experience with online reporting and analytical tools.
- Experience with HEEP, STARS, ITRAC, DRAW and their respective applications.
- Ability to engage workforce on sensitive and commonly misunderstood topics with the goal of creating consensus performance.
- Familiarity with available resources for program requirements and development.
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience and interview.
All appointments, with the exception of Department of Subways’ employees on MaBSTOA payroll, will be
made on the NYCT payroll.Other Information
Other Information: Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policy making position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the
CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password.
If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and
Password; then click on the REGISTER button.Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.