JOB TITLE: Manager - Business Planning
SALARY RANGE: $83,981 - $110,225
HAY POINTS: 588
DEPT/DIV: Management & Budget
SUPERVISOR: Senior Manager OMB Business Planning
LOCATION: 2 Broadway New York, NY 10004
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm (7 1/2 hours/day)
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
The Manager is responsible for working closely with the Department of Subways to plan, develop and manage its budget and financial plan. This position works with the Department of Subways finance and operations teams to formulate and implement strategies to improve efficiency, service quality, reliability, and maintenance. Responsibilities include developing and analyzing the strategic business and financial plan, developing, and analyzing annual operating budget requirements and performance, conducting special analytic management studies to improve services and cost effectiveness, and directing analytical support to evaluate investment program proposals to best advance NYCT’s mission.
- Analyze annual operating budget requirements and results.
- Conduct analytic studies to improve cost effectiveness and optimize resource allocation.
- Evaluate operating impacts of capital projects.
- Respond to finance-related inquiries.
- Work closely with OMB units to complete the financial plan. Document and validate results and present analyses and recommendations.
- Select, develop, and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates when applicable. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review performance of staff. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires tact, diplomacy, and inter-personal skills to deal with reluctant NYCT personnel.
- Must be detailed-oriented in order to gain an understanding of operational function, be a quick learner, and be able to think on your feet.
- Must have the ability to focus on specific engagement-related problems, at the same time keeping the project moving forward on a timely basis.
- Has some level of authority for the decision making, staffing, and budget for their functional area of responsibility, subject to approval regarding the most significant Business and Policy issues by the departmental management and/or Senior Management. Decision-making authority over their functional area of responsibility is within well-defined, somewhat diversified procedures and precedents.
- Analyzes and makes recommendations for Dept of Subways New Needs and OBI requests with final approval from departmental management and/or Senior Management and supports implementation of such changes.
- May provide input into overall strategy and approach in consultation with departmental management and/or HQ Senior Management
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial planning and analysis.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities and quantitative skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify the appropriate analytical processes to address issues, arrive at supportable recommendations, build consensus, and ensure implementation of changes.
- Project management skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience in business analysis, budgeting, or business process reengineering.
- Knowledge of the MTA organization and an understanding of the Subway system and how it functions.
- Prior experience working in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body
- Attainment of or in the process of attaining specific functional licenses or certifications in area of specialty if applicable.
- Knowledge of Hyperion Planning.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s policies and procedures.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, Economics or related field or an equivalent combination of education from an accredited college and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum 5 years related experience of which 18 months must have been in a supervisory/leadership position.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.