Job Title: Principal Executive Secretary
Salary Range: $56,550 - $74,222
Dept/Div: Resource Planning and Marketplace
Supervisor: Deputy, CTO
Location: 2 Broadway and other locations as required
Hours of Work: 9:00 AM -5:30 PM (7.5 hours/day) or as required
This position is eligible for telework which is currently two days per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
This position is for a Principal Executive Secretary in the MTA Information Technology (IT) Department who will provide services to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Deputy Chief Technology Officer, and several Chief-level managers.
The candidate is expected to be a self-starter, showing initiative and support for the smooth operations of the department by providing clerical, administrative, record keeping, and general office support of both a routine and non-routine nature for a department.
The candidate will show excellent judgment and discretion in performing all tasks.
The candidate will assist in doing basic research of questions and assist members of the department in all clerical and administrative aspects as needed.
This position may include indirect supervision of Sr. Executive and / or Executive Secretaries, budget monitoring, office supply maintenance, maintenance of basic databases, and workflow tracking.
- Secretarial: Take, transcribe, and summarize all notes of meeting and discussions, type all necessary correspondence for department, maintains basic financial reports, monitors expenses, answers phones, answers questions by others from outside departments, or refers them to the proper party, screen calls, supply general information.
- Clerical: Maintains a clean office area, set-up departmental filing system, logs correspondence, performs copy work, greets visitors to department and refers them to proper individuals and performs general clerical duties as required.
- Administrative: Provides clear written and oral direction to other clerical – administrative support staff, prepares all necessary materials for others in department for meeting, discussion and public presentation. Schedule meetings, gathers data for reports, maintains calendars, prepares vouchers, purchase requisitions and other related documents. Arranges all travel arrangements for department personnel, and may monitor departmental budget. May supervise clerical staff as well as temporary staff. May be required to perform basic PC skills, and develop and maintain basic databases of both PC and manual nature. Maintains organizational charts for department and assists in general paperwork for the department.
- Other: Order supplies for department, track and process invoices and related items. Have frequent contact with outside organizations, elected officials, MTA senior management and other similar level individuals and must present a professional, and business-like image for the MTA.
- Perform any and all other business duties necessary for the smooth and professional operation of the department.
- Minimum typing speed of 55 wpm.
- Knowledge and ability to use all basic word-processing programs, especially MS Word.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Basic knowledge of all popular PC spreadsheet programs, especially MS Excel.
- Basic knowledge of popular PC presentation programs, especially MS PowerPoint.
- Basic knowledge of popular PC communications programs, such as MS Teams, Slack, MS Outlook.
- Ability to develop and maintain basic databases.
- Knowledge of all basic office equipment.
- Basic knowledge of record management (files, logging, retrieving, follow-up systems etc.)
- Basic knowledge of timekeeping systems such as Peoplesoft or Kronos
- Knowledge of technical terminology relevant to department assigned.
- Ability to compose memos and correspondence.
- Ability to transcribe and summarize notes, minutes etc.
- Excellent telephone skills.
- Willingness to be a team player in all aspects of the departmental operations.
Education and Experience:
A minimum of a High School education plus a minimum of six years of secretarial experience. Or an AAS degree plus a minimum of four years of experience, of a BA degree plus two years’ experience. Must have full understanding of MTA-HQ departments, and basic understanding of role of the MTA and its public.
Please be advised that pursuant to MTA Code of Ethics and New York State Ethics Law, you have been designated as a policy maker. Therefore, you will be required to file an annual financial disclosure statement with the Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government. The Commission will notify you of this filing requirement via your work email. Upon receipt of notification from the Commission you will have 30 days to complete your financial disclosure statement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.