Senior Automotive Specialist
Croton NY/ Springdale CT
$70,035.00 - $91,920.68
Open Until Filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Assist in the administration of the Metro North's vehicle fleet. The fleet is used to support all phases of rail operations. The position is primarily responsible for administering the vehicle repair/maintenance program including authorizing repair work, documentation, quality control, and tracking of all costs.
- Perform in-service inspections on new vehicles; including but not limited to: inspect vehicles for defects, document all serial numbers from driveline and major components, install decals, and install license plates.
- Monitor service provider activities by performing quality control inspections and verifying need for repairs.
- Assist in all aspects of vehicle safety programs.
- Represent Metro North at the MTA all agency fleet safety committee.
- Administer the vehicle accident and damage report and repair program in accordance with company policy.
- Review all traffic violations (EZ pass, parking red light camera) and distribute to proper department personnel to ensure payment is made.
- Assist in the annual vehicle replacement program which includes physical condition field survey, pre-delivery inspections, and final Inspection of the completed vehicle.
- Manage all databases associated with responsibilities.
- Travel to department of motor vehicles to register all new vehicles delivered.
- Decommission Rubber Tire Fleet Vehicles including but not limited to; removing license plates, removing all decals, removing all debris and paperwork from interior of vehicle.
- Shuttle vehicles to dealerships or repair vendors that require works.
- Good planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong ability to deal effectively with various departments and vendors for vehicle repair and design.
- Strong ability to deal effectively with outside service providers and assure contractual obligations are met.
- Must have a working knowledge of Fed. CFR. 49 FMCSR,(Fed. Motor Carrier Safety Regulations), Hazardous Materials regulations, and State DOT Safety Regulations.
- Familiarity with vehicle technology (Le. Drivetrain, Suspension, Electrical, Transmission) and all types of truck mounted specialty equipment used in railroad applications (Hydraulic systems, Hi-Rail Gear, Aerial Devices, Cranes).
- Knowledge of procurement policies and procedures.
- Solid working knowledge of an automated procurement system, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Must be proficient in MS Office programs: Excel, Access, and Word (or comparable applications). Must be able to design queries, reports and prepare presentations of analytical data. Maintain databases of critical operational Automotive Data.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of general licensing requirements and motor vehicle laws.
- Available to be on call 24 hours per day 7 days per week.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
Education and Experience
Associate’s Degree in Automotive Technology, Automotive Management Technology or related field. Demonstrated equivalent experience, education and/or technical credentials to include two (2) additional years of experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Minimum of three (3) years of experience in transportation operations or a utility vehicle fleet repair facility.
One (1) year managing administrative processes or projects in a transportation environment.
The following is/are preferred, but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
Bachelor’s Degree in Automotive Technology, Automotive Management Technology or related fieldMinimum of one (1) year of supervisory experience (This position will supervise staff in the absence of the Manager)
This is a safety sensitive position and subject to toxicology testing.Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.