Title: Manager-Infrastructure EHS Compliance
Department: Corporate Safety
Repost Date: 08/17/2023
Close Date: 09/30/2023
Hay Point Evaluation: 702
Salary Range: $92,660-$121,616
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports to: Director-Environmental Planning and Compliance
This is a Non-Represented Position.
If you have previously applied to this position, there is no need to reapply. Your application may still be under consideration.
Please note that this position has been designated as a "Policy Maker," pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
The Manager-Infrastructure EHS Compliance will provide technical oversight, management and expertise ensuring programs and policies are compliant, implemented, and adhered to by workers in all LIRR settings. To accomplish this, the position will interface with department personnel, contractors/consultants, regulators, and customers. Tasks conducted will include field evaluations and inspections, management and technical oversight of LIRR’s processes, operations, and facilities in the area of environmental planning, compliance and sustainability. This position is responsible to oversee vendor contracts, manage operating budgets, prepare requisitions, review and approve vendor invoices, prepare technical scopes of work and contract specifications. This position will manage those third-party vendors performing project management, consultation, and environmental site assessments and remediation projects. The position will regularly interface with employees, labor representation, and LIRR department management to assure environmental health and safety are pursued and communicated.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Manage and oversee contracts (Engineering Consultant, Laboratory Services, Waste Removal). Manage the contract budgets, review surveys, reports, specifications, cost proposals, invoices, and ensure compliance with applicable regulations. Compile data and assist in the preparation of contract documents (specifications, technical scope of work, in-house cost estimates, notice of awards, etc.).
- Develop, oversee, and administer Corporate Policy & Procedures (CPPs). Ensure compliance with regulations in all corporate policies and procedures. Interface with employee, labor representatives and management to assure understanding and compliance with CPPs.
- Conduct site inspections, field verifications and audits. Provide oversight and supervision of contractors and consultants. Act as field liaison coordinating activities between third parties, LIRR departments and Regulatory Agencies.
- Respond and/or react to environmental emergencies and incidents, including periodic assigned 24-hr on-call duty (rotating basis). Act as the LIRR’s liaison with Regulators in the field.
- Effectively utilize a PC for communication with LIRR personnel and third parties, storage of project data, project scheduling, recordkeeping, and budget administration.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of Corporate Safety Policies and Procedures. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Physical Science, or a related science field.
- Must possess recent, related, progressively responsible experience (approximately 8 years) in the area of environmental remediation, stormwater management, hazardous waste management, and petroleum bulk storage in a large, diverse, complex operation with a substantial construction and/or manufacturing environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of environmental disciplines including, but not limited to, site assessments and remediation, non-hazardous, hazardous and universal waste management, air regulations and permitting, NYCDEP and SPDES discharge permits, petroleum bulk storage tank management, stormwater management, refrigerant management, spill reporting, environmental laboratory testing methods and environmental compliance principles, practices, procedures, and regulations.
- Able to understand and communicate environmental regulations and their implementation to various audiences, anticipate audience responses and develop corrective actions plans and/or policies.
- Knowledge and experience interacting with employees and their labor representation.
- Knowledge and experience with 3rd Party contracting processes.
- Manage third party contracts providing environmental consulting services. Duties include preparation of Technical Scopes of Work, review of proposals and work plans, coordination of field activities, review and approval of reports and invoices, and ensuring compliance with contract documents.
- Ability to review and comment on drawings (e.g., schematics, as-builts, construction drawings, site plans, etc.) as they relate to the protection of human health and the environment.
- Must possess experience in dealing with Regulatory Agencies including New York City Department of Environmental Protection, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, United States Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Health for Suffolk and Nassau Counties.
- Must possess proficient computer skills with a working knowledge of various software programs, such as Microsoft Applications.
- Must be available to respond to emergencies at any LIRR location during and after work hours. After hour emergency response will be on a 24/7, shared, rotational basis.
- Must possess strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with various departments and levels of management throughout LIRR.
- Must be a self-motivated individual with the ability to motivate and influence others in a positive manner to meet department goals.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- 40-Hour Hazardous Waste Operations Emergency Responder (HAZWOPER) certification
- Valid Driver's License and ability to travel throughout the entire LIRR territory.
- Railroad experience is desired, or experience performing Environmental Health and Safety in a large transportation or industrial setting.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Physical Science, or a related science field.
- Experience in the development, oversight and administration of corporate policies and procedures.
- 10-Hour or 30-Hour OSHA Construction certification.
- NYSDEC 4-hour Erosion & Sediment Control Training Certification.
- NYSDEC Class A, B and/or C Underground Storage Tank Systems Operator Authorization.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety-sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.