Department: Transportation Department
Post Date: 11/30/2022
Close Date: 12/15/2022
Hay Point Evaluation: N/A
100% Hourly Rate of Pay: $39.654 100% Rate* (See Wage Progression Chart)
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Sr. Manager Terminal Operations
Union Affiliation: Transportation Communications Union (TCU)
The Usher is responsible for providing train schedule information on LIRR platforms, stations, or other locations to Long Island Rail Road customers and the general public, including but not limited to service announcements, delays, and policies.
NOTE: The passing of all exams and successful completion of the Usher Training Program are required. Usher Trainees who are unable to meet this requirement are obligated to resign; external hires will be terminated, internal hires are obligated to resign and return to their craft.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
Provide train schedule information on LIRR platforms, stations, or other locations to Long Island Rail Road customers and the general public, including but not limited to service announcements, delays, and policies.
Provide information, instructions, directions to LIRR customers and general public during emergency operational incidents, severe weather events, and special events.
Deliver interoffice mail when required (e.g. Timeslips, General Notices, Bulletin Notices, Corporate Communications, etc)
- A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent (GED or TASC) approved by a State’s Department of Education or recognized accredited organization.
- Must have prior experience providing customer service in a fast paced, high volume, highly stressful operations environment.
- Must have flexibility and adaptability skills with ability to work various hours (24/7) and various days, including holidays, weekends, and during inclement weather.
- Must successfully complete Usher Training Program which includes successfully completing all on-the-job training, field observations and receiving passing scores on all written exams.
- Must possess superior written and oral communication skills.
- Must have experience directly responding to customer complaints arising from service emergencies.
- Must possess multi-tasking skills; ability to effectively handle multiple issues, events, circumstances simultaneously (e.g. ensuring trains are released timely from stations to meet on-time-performance goals, while ensuring customer safety and communications to ensure customers are informed of any changes. Appropriate coordination with Managers during emergency situations.)
- Ability to demonstrate competency in using a PC with a Microsoft Windows operating system.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors in all types of weather conditions, including conditions that are dry, wet, humid, dusty, noisy, hot, cold and may have sudden temperature changes.
- Ability to work while constantly sitting or standing on concrete floors, within buildings, or on station platforms.
- Ability to work in high traffic stations which require great concentration while under stress and pressure.
- Ability to work with minimal direction.
- Ability to constantly balance while walking on concrete floors, stairways, and while stepping over live third rail.
- Ability to perform job functions in cramped quarters and in confined spaces.
- Must qualify to operate TIMACS, Solari, crew management systems as a requirement for the successful completion of the training program.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 6 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination, and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://www.mymta.info/ , sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to My Job Search and then Careers.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am – 5:00pm.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply .