Manager- Environmental Systems
M of W
$79,548.00 - $104,406.75
June 24, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position is to oversee existing fuel storage and transmission systems (locomotive, automotive and heating) at Metro North yards and facilities and to review drawings for and oversee the construction of new fuel storage and transmission/fueling systems. Create, manage and update maintenance and compliance schedules for fueling tanks, piping and equipment. Inspect fuel piping systems and equipment, to ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements. Oversee personnel responsible for inspection of tanks and associated systems and supervise document corrections of any exceptions noted during inspections. Document and track fuel usage from all tanks systems and maintain reliable inventory records of fuel delivery, distribution and use.
- Oversee operation and maintenance of existing fuel storage and transmission systems (locomotive, automotive and heating) at Metro-North yards and facilities
- Oversee tank and piping inspections and corrective actions needed to address any exceptions noted. Document such corrections.
- Ensure that proper maintenance is performed on equipment where required and logs and documentation are properly maintained and distributed with follow up corrective actions documented
- Ensure fuel pumps and equipment are running efficiently and that maintenance is being performed regularly and effectively.
- Ensure required testing of all piping, tank and equipment is done in accordance with regulations, including, but not limited to, all sensors, meters and meter calibrations and tightness test of tank’s piping and valves.
- Review and provide comments on drawings and specifications of any and all locomotive, automotive and heating fueling systems that are proposed for new construction or modification.
- Coordinate with Metro-North Environmental Compliance and Services, Metro-North Capital Project Manager and/or Metro-North Force Account and assist in the Management and oversight of all construction or modification of fueling systems.
- Work with IT special projects to upgrade the manual fuel collection into automated systems.
- Review and comment on fuel vendor contracts and fuel specifications.
- Schedule and monitor all oil recovery wells at various Metro-North Facilities, directs environmental plumbers to measure oil levels and water levels.
- Monitors and take test samples of storm water, enters data in the Gems system for the environmental department. Test sampling of potable water at locations with a well system.
- Manages contracts for confined space monitoring, remediation and drain cleaning.
Must be experienced in and familiar with all fuel storage and transmission requirements, regulatory schemes, industry standards and guidance issued by the following regulatory agencies and industry groups:
- New York State and Connecticut Petroleum Bulk Storage Regulations
- PBS Regulations for tanks and piping
- Westchester County Petroleum Bulk Storage Regulations
- U.S. Coast Guard Pipeline Inspections
- American Petroleum Institute tank inspections (API 653)
- STI SP001
- National Fire Prevention Administration Regulations and Building Codes.
- Environmental Protection Agency
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection
- Any and all other applicable rules, regulations and industry guidance and standards.
- Must be familiar with and understand the operation and maintenance of:
- Motorized Operating Valves/Automatic Shutoff Valves
- Sensors, and Control Panels and their Calibration and Programming Requirements
- Fuel Storage and Delivery Piping Systems
- Meters and Meter Calibration Equipment, Operation and Maintenance
- Pumps, pumps systems and pump pressures acceptable under industry standards related to manufacturer requirements and company needs
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to coordinate with different levels of management.
- Working knowledge of MS Office or comparable applications.
- Strong analytical skills in order to analyze new and existing products, equipment and/or procedures.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree in Engineering or other relevant areas. In lieu of degree two (2) additional years of experience may be considered.
Minimum of five (5) years experience in directly managing and maintaining fuel storage and transmission systems
Minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience
The following is/are preferred, but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
Experience in rail facility fuel storage and transmission facilities
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant areas
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $108,638.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.