First Date of Posting: 4/4/2023
Last Date of Filing: open until filled
Department: Strategy & Customer Experience
Division/Unit: Digital Communications
Reports to: Customer Communications Manager
Work Location: Manhattan - Midtown
Hours of Work: Shift Hours; varied, including nights, weekends, and holidays
This position on the NYC Transit payroll is competitive and is eligible for the 55-a Program. This position is open to qualified persons who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate in your cover letter and in the upper right corner of your resume that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program. For detailed information regarding the 55-a Program, please visit the following link https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dcas/employment/55-a-program.page
New York City Transit is looking for customer communicators with extensive social media experience to provide world class customer care for the millions of people we move each day. In this role, you will translate information about current subway and bus service received from multiple channels into customer-facing communications and publish across multiple channels, including mta.info, MYmta and third-party apps, @NYCTSubway and @NYCTBus on Twitter, and screens in subway stations and on buses.
You will also provide best-in-class social customer care – monitoring in-take queues, determining the best response approach, and providing support to customers until you’ve helped them get where they need to go, resolved their issue, or adequately addressed their concerns.
As a customer advocate, you don’t just tweet, you get results. When customers encounter issues in their journey, you work with other teams to address them. Your work and ideas will help us identify root causes so that we can find sustainable solutions. There’s a high level of autonomy — you engage freely on behalf of NYCT — but you must be able to adhere to brand guidelines and protocol. You are also expected to evaluate current practices and recommend strategies and tactics to improve the way we keep customers informed.
You perform in a high-volume, fast-paced environment and work collaboratively with other teams to ensure communications are timely, accurate, and consistent. Candidates should have experience in social content development, community management, high-volume customer service, and/or social media strategy, plus a strong interest in the transit system.
Associate Transit Customer Service Specialist I (OA): $60,424 - $78,070
Associate Transit Customer Service Specialist II (OA): $68,021 - $88,227
Associate Transit Customer Service Specialist I (TA): $57,653 - $74,489
Associate Transit Customer Service Specialist II (TA): $75,719 - $94,343
Associate Transit Customer Service Specialist II (TA) Ops: $64,088- $83,128
The selected candidate will monitor New York City’s subway and bus services in real-time to determine customer impact, translate internal service change messages into customer facing communications and quickly publish to multiple channels, monitor social chatter, determine the best approach for individual customer queries, and respond accordingly, in plain language (non-jargon) and a conversational tone. The selected candidate will also escalate urgent issues to operations staff and senior leadership as needed, manage customer queries from start to finish, which may require follow up days later, seek opportunities for improving proactive service communications, brand building, and storytelling for all NYCT services. The selected candidate must be able and available to work in a 24/7 environment that includes weekdays, overnight shifts, weekends and/or holidays as required.
Education and Experience:
1. A bachelor's degree from an accredited college and two (2) years of satisfactory, full-time experience in a customer service or public information capacity; Or
2. An associate's degree from an accredited college and three (3) years of satisfactory, full time experience in a customer service or public information capacity; Or
3. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and four (4) years of satisfactory, full-time experience in a customer service or public information capacity; Or
4. Education and/or experience equivalent to "1", "2", or "3" above.
- Quick and critical thinking. This role requires you to use good judgment managing multiple issues with varying degrees of complexity each day.
- Experience in social content development, community management, or social media strategy, or ideally, all three.
- Demonstrated ability to gather, assess, and distill complex information and create customer-focused messaging.
- Ability to multitask and balance competing priorities efficiently.
- High attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to operate quickly and efficiently in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong knowledge of the MTA subway and bus network and services, or the ability to master.
- Ability to work independently with little oversight as well as perform well in a team environment.
- Flexible worker who collaborates well with peers and fosters a positive workplace.
- Exceptional listening, writing, and verbal communications skills.
- Service-minded and empathetic to customer experience.
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
As an Employee of MTA NYC Transit you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the state of New York, if your position earns more $105,472 (this is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
How to apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link.
Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.