JOB TITLE: Retail Sales Associate Part-Time
HOURLY RATE: $18 Per Hour
DEPT/DIV: Corporate and Internal Communications
SUPERVISOR: Asst Manager Retail, NY Transit Museum
LOCATION: 2 Broadway New York, NY 10004
HOURS OF WORK: 21.5– 30 hours/week (various shifts including holidays, weekends and nights) *MUST BE ABLE TO WORK SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS*
DEADLINE:Open until filled
Founded in 1976, the New York Transit Museum is dedicated to telling and preserving the stories of mass transportation – extraordinary engineering feats, workers who labored in the tunnels over 100 years ago, communities that were drastically transformed, and the ever-evolving technology, design, and ridership of a system that runs 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Housed underground in an authentic 1936 subway station in downtown Brooklyn, the Transit Museum’s working platform level spans a full city block, is home to a rotating selection of 20 vintage subway and elevated cars dating back to 1904.
The New York Transit Museum offers a variety of NYC transit-related products that support the mission of the Museum. All sales go to support the programs and exhibitions at the New York Transit Museum. In addition, the Museum stores act as a MTA customer resource by selling Metro Cards as well as offering maps, general travel, and MTA transit information to the public. We’re looking for Retail Associates to provide friendly and professional sales assistance and exceptional customer service at the three Museum stores, online, or at one of our pop-up venues. More information about the Museum can be found at nytransitmuseum.org.
- Conduct normal retail operations such as sales, cash handling, and fiscal reconciliation.
- Serve as the face of the Museum and the MTA by being a resource on product information as well as information about Museum programs and exhibitions.
- Support Visitor Services by assisting in ticket sales and membership sales in the Museum admission booth.
- Be knowledgeable in both the book and gift merchandise and be able to advise customers and promote store products.
- Help with phone orders or online orders, including picking and packing, as needed.
- Assist in Inventory Management: track sales of merchandise and take cycle counts as needed.
- Move inventory from one location to another.
- Check in and price new merchandise receipts.
- Accurately conduct opening and closing procedures under the supervision of store supervisor.
- Maintain the sales floor by straightening, organizing, cleaning, and restocking merchandise.
- Create and maintain merchandise displays.
- Support museum management by assisting in all Museum activities as necessary, and aid as necessary in special event, promotions and related activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Professional appearance and customer-friendly attitude is essential.
- Applicants should be honest, hardworking, outgoing, and amiable.
- Basic understanding of the MTA transportation system preferred.
- Motivated, gracious, reliable, and responsive team player is essential.
- Cultivate a positive working relationship by appreciating and learning from fellow associates.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to perform basic clerical functions with strong computer skills.
- Flexibility with work schedule (including nights, weekends, and holidays) is required.
- Multi-lingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Detail oriented and creative.
- Must be able to climb a ladder and ability to lift and carry a minimum of 30 lbs. Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma
- 1-3 years of retail experience preferred
- Previous experience in sales, cash handling and customer service preferred.
- Visual Merchandising experience a plus
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commisssion on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the "Commission").
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.