JOB TITLE: Senior Communications Specialist
SALARY RANGE: $79,245 (salary non-negotiable)*
DEPT/DIV: Police Communications Unit
SUPERVISOR: Commanding Officer, Police Communications Unit
LOCATION: Long Island City, NY
HOURS OF WORK: various hours of work (7.5 hours per day)
DEADLINE: Open until filled
*Position covered by IBT Local 808 collective bargaining agreement
This position will provide senior level technical expertise and support for the management,
coordination and administration of the MTA Police Communication field operations. Working
closely with the Communications unit supervisor and Police Management this position will
provide senior level support in the operations of the communication equipment and systems of
the MTA Police. The position will be expected to travel extensively within the MTA service
network and must be available to work non-standard hours as project needs and emergency
- Functions as a senior support person to the operation of communication equipment, maintenance, field inspection and general support to Police communications.
- Provides senior level support for the technical needs requirements of the Police for communication equipment and systems.
- Acts as primary communications contact with other local law enforcement agencies who interact with the MTA Police, keeps management abreast of trends, recommends equipment that integrates with other Police operations in the service area.
- Routinely inspects fixed equipment sites in the MTA Police Service area for compliance with MTA Police requirements.
- Provides senior level support in the implementation of technical standards, maintenance oversight, contract development, system designs and enhancements, as well as technical operations of the MTAPD radio system equipment.
- Acts as the primary communications contact for the maintenance of the voice system equipment to meet the departments telecommunications needs.
- Monitor and maintain voice communications and trunked radio systems.
- Maintain and repair communications equipment and accessories.
- Provide senior level development and maintenance of radio programming, radio maintenance service contracts, FCC mandated licenses and agreements, inventory and repair database.
- Provide senior level communications oversight and implementation management of upgrades and new systems.
- Develop, prepare and implement monthly reports and purchase requisitions.
- Develop, prepare and recommend technical communication alternatives.
- Provide senior level technical support to MTA PD Field Deployments/critical incident response.
- Provide senior level instruction to MTA PD personnel on the operations of all radio communication equipment.
- Interface with partner agencies to support MTAPD Communications, systems and initiatives.
- Provide senior level support to division command on MTA agency communications issues and regional interoperable communications committees.
- Performs all other duties as required in order to meet the business needs of the MTA Police Dept. Communication operations.
- Must possess advanced communications experience with the ability to read schematic/technical documentation and use the applicable test equipment associated with electronics/communications.
- Must have excellent understanding of electrical laws and radio communications principles.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Some work experience in Police operations is highly desirable and strongly preferred.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) in electrical engineering, plus a minimum of five to seven years of experience in a professional nature in wireless communications and telecommunications.
As an employee of MTA Headquarters, you may be required to complete an annual financial
disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $108,638 (this
figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
How To Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link.
Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including
with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and
abilities, including military service members, to apply