Title: Accounting Analyst/Sr. Accounting Analyst
Post Date: 12/16/2022
Close Date: Until Filled
Hay Point Evaluation: N/A
100% Rate of Pay: $41.388/$48.502
Position Classification: Non-Safety Sensitive
Location: Jamaica, Queens
Reports to: Supervisor-Payroll
Union Affiliation: Transportation Communications Union (TCU)
Accounting analysts/senior accounting analysts in the PAYROLL area are responsible to assist in the reconciliation and reporting of the Long Island Railroad timekeeping and to ensure overall accuracy of payroll. Develop and maintain report databases and prepare various reports for distribution to management.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Reconcile report and validate payroll in corporate time and Attendance Systems ("CTAMS i.e., KRONOS").
- Reconcile report and validate time and attendance files between LIRR and Business Service Center (BSC).
- Take lead interfacing with all the departments and resolve various time and attendance issues and ensure essential payroll data is transmitted timely and accurately to the BSC.
- Analyze and correct payroll errors relative to billing third party reimbursable work orders.
- Audit the validity of payments and follow-up for collection of overpayments.
- Review payroll adjustments and ensure accuracy of Pay Order accounting.
- Perform various analyses and auditing pertaining to personal expense, meal periods, 1/52, 1/5th payments, attrition, back pay, comp time and other payroll adjustments.
- Create and perform PeopleSoft/Kronos queries to analyze payroll data.
- Analyze weekly payroll data to ensure payments made to employees are in accordance with collective bargaining agreements.
- Work with internal and external auditors to ensure that the payroll functions are operating as intended.
- Continually review internal controls over all payroll time and attendance procedures to ensure compliance with MTA policies and guidelines.
- Prepare off-cycle payroll checks to be processed by the BSC and cancel any paychecks as required.
- Sealing and mailing of employees’ checks, advises, and overflows
- Research and investigate check inquiries
- Perform all checks and W2 related procurement duties.
- Support the department and IT on user acceptance testing and systems updates/upgrades.
- Support the Manager and Supervisor of Payroll.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- One to three years accounting, finance or similar experience including database management and reporting; along with financial analysis and reconciliations.
- Knowledge of accounting systems and procedures. (i.e., Kronos WFC, PeopleSoft).
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Access, Excel - use of pivot tables & v-lookups, Word and PowerPoint).
- Excellent quantitative, analytic, and deductive reasoning capabilities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of management and external contacts.
- Strong ability to take control of assigned tasks with limited supervision.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Strong ability to prepare accurate work papers, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Senior Accounting Analyst
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety-sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://www.mymta.info/, sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to My Job Search and then Careers.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.