POSTING NO.: 101773
JOB TITLE: Machinist - M of E
DEPT/DIV: M of E
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
MACHINISTS are responsible for maintaining, inspecting, fabricating, repairing and modifying mechanical equipment.
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Inspects, maintains, repairs, and replaces pneumatic operating units, valves, air brake systems, trucks and car suspension on all diesel-powered equipment, and on rolling stock.
- Installs and removes major components on diesel equipment including: engines, main generators, air compressors, APU’s, and drive motors, etc.
- Perform welding on components and equipment related to passenger locomotive and EMU rolling stock.
- Perform periodic visual inspections of internal and external train components for proper operation and functionality.
- Operate support equipment (e.g. crane and truck hoists, truck movers, etc.) as needed.
- May be required to operate machinery including lathes, and milling machines.
- Reference written documents (e.g. operating or manufacturing manuals) while troubleshooting or maintaining equipment.
- Complete required paperwork.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) and
- Completion of vocation or apprentice training as a Machinist or Mechanic or
- Two years of experience as a Mechanic (building maintenance – generators, automotive mechanic, aircraft and submarines, etc.)
- Ability to use lathes and presses.
- Understand air piping diagrams.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification.
- CNC machine experience.
- Welding experience.
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; reading comprehension ability; interpersonal skills; customer service oriented; skilled in exercising independent judgment; ability to anticipate and analyze problems and take corrective actions; must be able to evaluate a situation to make decisions and work under pressure; written and verbal communication skills; ability to multi-task; must be able to function effectively under changing priorities; must be safety conscious.
- Mechanical aptitude; knowledge of hand tools and power tools and their appropriate use; ability to work in teams; ability to follow instructions; attention to detail; ability to troubleshoot mechanical errors and take corrective action; problem solving skills; ability and willingness to learn operating and safety rules.
- Must become and maintain Qualified Maintenance Personnel (QMP) qualification.
- Hearing conservation may be needed for some positions.
- Refer to the required hand tools list.
Rate of Pay
The starting rate for this position is $27.75 per hour. The annual wage progression scale is as follows: Years 1&2= $27.75; Year 3=$29.74; Year 4=$31.72; Years 5&6=$33.70; Year 7=$35.69; Year 8=$39.65. This rate is set by the collective bargaining agreement and is non-negotiable.
Credit toward the wage progression shall be granted with satisfactory documented proof of:
- Prior experience as a mechanic;
- A minimum of 12 credits of college coursework relevant to working as a machinist with a passing grade of C or higher;
- A minimum of 6 months of full-time enrollment in a state-approved mechanical trade school program;
- Prior experience as a mechanic on another railroad.
Applicants hired with four (4) or more years of documented mechanic experience (non-railroad) shall be paid as follows: Years 1&2=$31.72; Years 3&4=$35.69; Year 5=$39.65.
In addition, applicants hired with seven (7) or more years of mechanic experience on another railroad shall be paid an hourly rate of $39.65.
Applicants will establish seniority in the International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers (IAM), the union representing Machinists, in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of IAM are subject to an initiation fee and monthly union dues.
Must be able to work various days, shifts and locations along MNR territory.
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $108,638.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Physical Activities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ability to lift and carry tools and materials weighing up to 50 pounds (e.g. disc brake).
- Regularly lift, carry, push tools and materials weighing up to 35 lbs. (e.g. tool bags, carts, ladders).
- Must be able to climb ladders and steps to board equipment.
- Talking and hearing ability required to communicate with coworkers and supervisors.
Working Conditions of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Works on rolling stock at heights up to 60 feet above ground level.
- Must be able to work on trains inside various maintenance shops and in the yard and on tracks during inclement weather (e.g. hot, cold, rain, snow).
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces while navigating tracks.
- Works in close proximity of moving equipment.
- Must be able to work various days and shifts.
- Works primarily with others, but must also be able to work independently.
- Must successfully complete Metro-North Machinist training program to qualify for position. Training includes classroom instruction and on-the-job training.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.