JOB TITLE: Deputy Director Labor Relations
SALARY RANGE: $106,332 - $139,561
HAY POINTS: 830
DEPT/DIV: Employee Relations - MNR
SUPERVISOR: Director of Labor Relations
LOCATION: 420 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY
HOURS OF WORK: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (8 hours/day)
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
This position is responsible for the oversight of the Labor Relations function under the general direction of the Director of Labor Relations and VP of Labor Relations within MTA Metro-North Railroad. This includes oversight of the development of collective bargaining strategies, negotiation of labor contracts, implementation and administration of contracts in a manner that promotes Labor Management harmony and maximizes employee productivity and efficiency.
- Provide oversight with overall guidance and direction with respect to the handling of the day to-day labor and employee relations issues, dispute resolution, contract administration and counsel regarding legislative activity.
- Assist in formulating the collective bargaining strategy as well as proposals for labor contract modifications. In concert with the Director of Labor Relations and V.P. Labor Relations, represent management as a negotiator in the collective bargaining process with Metro-North’s labor organizations.
- Oversee and monitor the interpretation and administration of labor agreements and company policies.
- Manage the development of the Labor Relations staff and ensure quality service to our customers and coordinate dispute resolution programs and efforts; act as the company’s representative in the final step of the grievance and appeals procedure.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to provide direction, develop, motivate, and foster teamwork.
- In-depth knowledge of collective bargaining agreements and process.
- In-depth knowledge of arbitration process, trial and/or hearing procedures.
- In-depth mediation and conflict resolution skills with the ability to influence and reach satisfactory resolutions of Labor Relations problems.
- Excellent negotiating skills with the ability to reason and compromise.
- Capable of exercising independent judgment and displays creative problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all levels within the MTA, to include Union officials, and outside agencies.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or comparable applications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree in labor or industrial Relations or related field is required.
- Must have a minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in Labor Contract Management which includes interpretation and administration of agreements, negotiation, arbitration, collective bargaining analysis and dispute resolution.
- Must have a minimum of six (6) years of dispute resolution experience.
- Law Degree, with five (5) years related experience may substitute for the above required experience.
- Must have a minimum five (5) years progressively responsible experience managing a team of professionals.
- Juris Doctorate
- Training and/or certification in Collective Bargaining, Arbitration or Dispute Resolution
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.